How One Response to a Reddit Query Became a Big Budget Flick

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, March 21, 2012, 08:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2012, 10:38:02 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 09:59:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2012, 10:59:47 PM
Better for a Spanish Terico from the 30 Years War to get sent back to like 150AD. The noble in charge should know Latin, as would the priest and Spanish isn't that far off from Latin. It's definitely something the men could learn. Plus they'd have gunsmiths and blacksmiths who would be able to teach the down timers their techniques.
Pic
Now that's a funny typo! :lol:

I obviously meant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tercio

Oh, or even better someone from the 30 years war could come to modern era and try to explain to us what the hell that war was all about.  Twice I've tried to read Peter H. Wilson's The Thirty Year War, and both times I came away defeated.

Or we could go with the original idea.  Except instead of a Marine Expeditionary Unit going back to ancient Rome they just go back to ancient 1st century Afghanistan and see if they noticed the difference.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

I don't get the premise - assuming away the time travel aspect, why would the unit move in space from Central Asia to Central Italy?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 22, 2012, 02:42:45 PM
I don't get the premise - assuming away the time travel aspect, why would the unit move in space from Central Asia to Central Italy?

Because ancient Rome is cool, but there are no marine units in Rome right now.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on March 22, 2012, 02:44:12 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 22, 2012, 02:42:45 PM

Because ancient Rome is cool, but there are no marine units in Rome right now.

Isn't there a big US naval base around Naples?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maximus

To end up on the surface of the earth at all is quite a feat. The earth has moved a good deal since 23 BCE.

Alexandru H.

He wrote the old EU2 Sibir AAR that involved a time-travelling British that eventually transforms into a child and is taken care of by Washington.

The AAR is surely more interesting than US marines in Ancient Rome...

Ed Anger

The 173rd Airborne Brigade in NATO reserve in Italy time travels back to the beginning of life on Earth and jacks off in the primordial ooze.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 22, 2012, 03:34:00 PM
The 173rd Airborne Brigade in NATO reserve in Italy time travels back to the beginning of life on Earth and jacks off in the primordial ooze.

I like my premise better, where a Spetnaz team in 1982 Afghanistan is transported back in time to 1282 Afghanistan, and doesn't notice a fucking difference.

The Brain

What about a Zhou unit suddenly finding itself in Shang?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2012, 03:38:36 PM

I like my premise better, where a Spetnaz team in 1982 Afghanistan is transported back in time to 1282 Afghanistan, and doesn't notice a fucking difference.
make it a shortfilm and you could have a prizewinner at some of the festivals.

The Minsky Moment

That's very unrealistic.  IRL, the cultural improvement of 1282 Afghanistan over 1982 Afghanistan would be quickly apparent.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

1282 is just a few decades after the utter destruction of the Mongol invasion. You should have picked another century.

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 22, 2012, 04:15:50 PM

That's very unrealistic.  IRL, the cultural improvement of 1982 Afghanistan over 2012 Afghanistan would be quickly apparent.

JR you messed the dates up, I've corrected it for you.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Siege

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2012, 10:59:47 PM
Quote from: sbr on March 21, 2012, 09:53:35 PM
I am 99% sure the dude from Des Moines is an old EUOT member named prufrock (or something very similar).  He wrote a war on xmas aar over there.
It's still pretty awesome to get paid $120k to expound on a random internet post.

This isn't that interesting to write about though. Their technology isn't transmittable to the natives. It's just too advanced.

Better for a Spanish Tercio from the 30 Years War to get sent back to like 150AD. The noble in charge should know Latin, as would the priest and Spanish isn't that far off from Latin. It's definitely something the men could learn. Plus they'd have gunsmiths and blacksmiths who would be able to teach the down timers their techniques.

You can always downgrade your equipment.
Muzzle loaders still beat sword infantry at least 10 to 1.

Besides, it is the small things we know that give us victory. Hygene, proper diet, tactics, operational planning, etc.
A modern infantry battalion can conquer the ancient world by chosing what and when to fight, and with whom to ally.

My guess is that Hernan Cortez played this game the right way, and no Alt-Hist pseudo-writter will ever beat him.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"