News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The US War on Women Continues

Started by Jacob, March 16, 2012, 07:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/15/texas-loses-entire-womens_n_1349431.html?1331847590&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Headline: Texas Loses Entire Women's Health Program Over Planned Parenthood Law

So... how likely is this to come to pass?

Does it just come down to "don't be poor and a woman in Texas" or is there some chance that someone's going to back down?

Valmy

This is a bizarre war for the Conservatives to wage this year.  Do they really think this is a wedge issue they can win with?

I really am speechless it is like we stepped back to the issues of 1975.  Should we be debating whether to send money to help the South Vietnamese as wel?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

So when do we get to start rolling our eyes at you, Jacob?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2012, 07:57:00 PM

You're not seriously waiting for me to give you permission.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on March 16, 2012, 07:58:45 PM

I was being polite. Besides, I didn't really think you'd be dickish enough to put down shenanigans in Texas of all places as the continuation of an American war on women. Typo maybe?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Or wait, are you letting mongers post under your nick now?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2012, 08:01:55 PM
I was being polite. Besides, I didn't really think you'd be dickish enough to put down shenanigans in Texas of all places as the continuation of an American war on women. Typo maybe?

Than how about Virginia?  Arizona?  Pennsylvania?  Which other misogynistic state would you prefer he use?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2012, 08:12:24 PM

Than how about Virginia?  Arizona?  Pennsylvania?  Which other misogynistic state would you prefer he use?

I can honestly admit that when I first joined up here that you'd be the anti-America and I'd switch to the opposite.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2012, 08:13:39 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2012, 08:12:24 PM

I can honestly admit that when I first joined up here that you'd be the anti-America and I'd switch to the opposite.

I think it's hilarious that, as a minority cocksucker, you're the first to align yourself with those who would have you killed if they could.  Talk about fucking fantasy land, Dorothy.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2012, 08:15:49 PM
I think it's hilarious that, as a minority cocksucker, you're the first to align yourself with those who would have you killed if they could.  Talk about fucking fantasy land, Dorothy.

Why would I enjoy the rolling back of women's rights?  Sure there's certainly plenty of bad apples in America, but do you kill the patient because he's diseased?

Are you really so disappointed with your hope and change?

KRonn

It's an issue over some Planned Parenthood clinics allegedly using govt money for abortions, which isn't allowed. But it's more intricate than that, and from the article it looks like the state may be violating Medicaid law. Very messy stuff.    :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on March 16, 2012, 07:58:45 PM

Sorry, I'm with garbon here.  While I don't agree with positions Texas has taken or several other states I don't care for this idea of a "War on _____".  Reminds me to much of other "wars" like the "War on Christmas" and such.  Silly political tactics, and inflammatory rhetoric.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

The Pravda link is not working for me.  What are the facts of the story?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadImmortalMan

40 million dollars doesn't sound like something Texas couldn't just self-fund if they wanted. It's tiny.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers