And we're back!

Main Menu

How Not to Attract Tourists

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, March 16, 2012, 07:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 16, 2012, 10:20:12 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2012, 10:11:02 AM
I guess there's a reason you didn't post the rest of the op-ed. That form sounds like a nuisance but minor in the extreme.  I thought this was going to be something about bizarre hoops.  Besides we aren't the only country to ask for customs forms, which is an additional complaint in the article.
I think you're the only country to charge for it though.  When I visited the US it was a form you filled out on-board, it was free, it was shorter than that form and it looked a lot less of a bureaucratic hassle than this:
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
When you add that to the proverbial delight of dealing with TSA staff it's just not a terribly pleasant place to travel to.

What I find extraordinary is that, from what I hear, Israeli security and screening which is far greater (and probably more effective than anywhere else in the world) is actually quite pleasant and well handled.

Actually per the article sounds like it is in addition to the free paper form.

Anyway, security staff in the UK aren't so lovely either.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

What I find extraordinary is that, from what I hear, Israeli security and screening which is far greater (and probably more effective than anywhere else in the world) is actually quite pleasant and well handled.

American government officials are notoriously unpleasant people.  Why do you think we all have such a bad attitude about the state?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2012, 10:22:00 AMActually per the article sounds like it is in addition to the free paper form.
The website says all travellers who are under the visa waiver have to do it now.

QuoteAnyway, security staff in the UK aren't so lovely either.
Lord no.  Neither are the French for that matter.  But the Americans are notoriously bad.  I've read articles by Americans about internal travel bemoaning the TSA's attitude to people so it's not just international travellers who get a bad impression of them.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on March 16, 2012, 10:19:27 AM
You can hardly blame Brits at being suspicious of people claiming to be tourists.
Tourist? Coming TO Britain?

Of course.  Britain is lovely.  At least England was during the my short time there.  It was beautiful, warm, and sunny the whole time so I just assumed it was always that way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2012, 10:28:51 AM
Of course.  Britain is lovely.  At least England was during the my short time there.  It was beautiful, warm, and sunny the whole time so I just assumed it was always that way.
And it is.  The warmth of our weather is matched only by the warmth of our welcome :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

I'm not real clear how Malthus is basing opinions of America on Lettow when he apparently hasn't read a word the guy's posted.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Their security measures allow so much latitude on profiling, if you're not what they're looking for, you're not a threat.
Arab male between 18 and 45 with an Islamic name in a business suit?  You're gonna miss your flight, buddy.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 16, 2012, 10:28:35 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2012, 10:22:00 AMActually per the article sounds like it is in addition to the free paper form.
The website says all travellers who are under the visa waiver have to do it now.

That's what I meant. It is an extra thing that now needs to be done which does suck. I was just pointing out in my first post that complaining about the old customs form was silly because every nation requires that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 16, 2012, 10:32:12 AM
And it is.  The warmth of our weather is matched only by the warmth of our welcome :)

England is the Hawai'i of Europe.

CountDeMoney

The warmth of our weather is matched only by the warmth of our welcome :)

:x :x :x

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2012, 10:36:51 AM
The warmth of our weather is matched only by the warmth of our welcome :)

:x :x :x

Well that shouldn't be off putting then given how cold the welcome is.

I still remember how flustered this one student got when 2 girls and I just randomly chatted him up at one of the school dances.

CountDeMoney

Bah, I wouldn't go to England anyway, since it took my father and I months to get off the No-Fly List after 9/11.  Brits probably pegged us as IRA because of our names.  Fucking racists.

GET OUT OF IRELAND YOU RAT BASTARDS

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2012, 10:41:50 AM
Bah, I wouldn't go to England anyway, since it took my father and I months to get off the No-Fly List after 9/11.  Brits probably pegged us as IRA because of our names.  Fucking racists.

GET OUT OF IRELAND YOU RAT BASTARDS

The UK is lovely, MB.

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2012, 10:35:52 AMI was just pointing out in my first post that complaining about the old customs form was silly because every nation requires that.
Quite a few nations don't require a customs form. They will just make random searches.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2012, 10:43:35 AM
The UK is lovely, MB.

Yeah, I've seen Hugh Grant movies.  I know.