Dumb questions: "Jesus" as a first name?

Started by Capetan Mihali, May 04, 2009, 03:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

How many cultures use a variant of Jesus as a male first name?  Is it only used in the Spanish-speaking world?  Is there an equivalent in other European cultures (in French, German, Italian, etc)?  Is it as common in Spain as it is in Latin America?

I was asked by two friends to weigh in on a dispute on this topic, and realized I have no clue.  The only real life experience I have is meeting Latin American men named Jesús.  The only information I could find on the internet was mainly back-and-forth bashing and defense of Mexican Americans, so not really to the point.   :(

Any arm-chair theories on why it took root in some cultures and not others?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 04, 2009, 03:05:57 PM
How many cultures use a variant of Jesus as a male first name?  Is it only used in the Spanish-speaking world?  Is there an equivalent in other European cultures (in French, German, Italian, etc)?  Is it as common in Spain as it is in Latin America?

I was asked by two friends to weigh in on a dispute on this topic, and realized I have no clue.  The only real life experience I have is meeting Latin American men named Jesús.  The only information I could find on the internet was mainly back-and-forth bashing and defense of Mexican Americans, so not really to the point.   :(

Any arm-chair theories on why it took root in some cultures and not others?

It's all pretty amusing as he was JOSHUA (Yeshua)

Jesus is a bad translation that stuck.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Valmy

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 04, 2009, 03:07:54 PM

All those fundies are sure going to be disappointed when they end up in Hell for believing in the wrong guy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

The only information I could find on the internet was mainly back-and-forth bashing and defense of Mexican Americans, so not really to the point.   :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_(name)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: ulmont on May 04, 2009, 03:09:09 PM
The only information I could find on the internet was mainly back-and-forth bashing and defense of Mexican Americans, so not really to the point.   :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_(name)

Other than a nice short list of other famous people named Jesus, it's pretty irrelevant to the question.    :huh:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2009, 03:08:55 PM

All those fundies are sure going to be disappointed when they end up in Hell for believing in the wrong guy.

Yeah, they follow Paul instead of Christ.  Good times.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 04, 2009, 03:12:04 PM
Other than a nice short list of other famous people named Jesus, it's pretty irrelevant to the question.    :huh:

It notes that the name is primarily restricted to the Spanish-speaking world.  The number of examples in Spain proper show that the name is not restricted to Latin America.  That's two of your first four questions answered...

See also:

http://www.babynamewizard.com/namipedia/boy/jesus
http://www.babynamer.com/jesus

Again...Spanish-speaking world, including Spain, not much outside that (possibly Portugal and Portuguese-areas).

The Brain

In Sweden we have people called Thor (Tor). Odin (Oden) and Frey (Frej) are extremely rare though. Freya (Freja) is not unheard of.

The Larch

I can confirm that it is, either alone or combined with other first names, a popular name in Spain.

Josquius

If true that is a AWFUL translation. Utterly different...
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on May 04, 2009, 03:25:16 PM

Awful? :yeahright:

wiki:

Quote"Jesus" (IPA: /ˈdʒizʊs/) is a transliteration, occurring in a number of languages and based on the Latin Iesus, of the Greek Ἰησοῦς (Iēsoûs), itself a Hellenisation of the Hebrew יהושע (Yehoshua) or Hebrew-Aramaic ישוע (Yeshua ), (Joshua), meaning "the Lord rescues" or "the Lord delivers."

QuoteYeshua, spelled יֵשׁוּעַ (Yēšûă') or ישוע in Hebrew was a common name among Jews of the Second Temple Period, and is believed by some scholars and religious groups to be the Hebrew or Aramaic name for Jesus.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Would Christianity have taken off if Jesus had been called Warren?

clandestino

Quote from: ulmont on May 04, 2009, 03:15:25 PM

Again...Spanish-speaking world, including Spain, not much outside that (possibly Portugal and Portuguese-areas).

I can't remember anyone (presently or in the past) using Jesus as a first name. I'm pretty sure someone was called by that name, but maybe it isn't as common as in Spanish speaking areas.

There was a former chairman of the Communist Party called Bento de Jesus Caraça, but in that case it's a kind of middle/last name.

In Brazil, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Jesus, but their naming attributes are pretty lame, and very different from ours.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2009, 03:29:43 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 04, 2009, 03:25:16 PM

Awful? :yeahright:

wiki:

Quote"Jesus" (IPA: /ˈdʒizʊs/) is a transliteration, occurring in a number of languages and based on the Latin Iesus, of the Greek Ἰησοῦς (Iēsoûs), itself a Hellenisation of the Hebrew יהושע (Yehoshua) or Hebrew-Aramaic ישוע (Yeshua ), (Joshua), meaning "the Lord rescues" or "the Lord delivers."

QuoteYeshua, spelled יֵשׁוּעַ (Yēšûă') or ישוע in Hebrew was a common name among Jews of the Second Temple Period, and is believed by some scholars and religious groups to be the Hebrew or Aramaic name for Jesus.
:unsure:
I don't know what you're saying here.
Yeshua and Jesus sound utterly different.
██████
██████
██████