News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Why I quit Goldman Sachs"

Started by Barrister, March 15, 2012, 03:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2012, 09:33:16 AM
I dunno - going out in a blaze of "they don't care about your clients, they only care about themselves!" sounds like pretty good advertising to me.

You can step down a couple levels from GS-type clients and still be dealing with some exceedingly wealthy companies and invididuals.

He was on an equity derivatives desk.  So the clients presumably are big institutional investors like asset management funds, hedge funds, and SWFs.  Ask yourself want kind of broker a client like that looks for when they want to trade equity derivatives.  Presumably one that is well capitalized and has the capability to execute large transactions quickly and efficiently.  Even if you go to mid=cap or smaller hedge funds, the need for those qualities doesn't change.  It's not a boutique business, nor is it probably one where the client is looking for or expecting a fiduciary relationship.  It is a business dominated by other big players, and no big player is going to hire this guy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Gups

I know squat about the culture in Goldman Sachs but I do think that the culture in professional firms has become more and mroe commercial in the last decade. For example, being a good lawyer is incidental to the job - its all about the PEP now.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Retarded douche whines publically about his employer. :zzz
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Gups on March 16, 2012, 12:33:16 PMFor example, being a good lawyer is incidental to the job - its all about the PEP now.

What's PEP?

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on March 16, 2012, 02:39:38 PM
Quote from: Gups on March 16, 2012, 12:33:16 PMFor example, being a good lawyer is incidental to the job - its all about the PEP now.

What's PEP?

profit per partner.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 16, 2012, 12:15:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2012, 09:33:16 AM
I dunno - going out in a blaze of "they don't care about your clients, they only care about themselves!" sounds like pretty good advertising to me.

You can step down a couple levels from GS-type clients and still be dealing with some exceedingly wealthy companies and invididuals.

He was on an equity derivatives desk.  So the clients presumably are big institutional investors like asset management funds, hedge funds, and SWFs.  Ask yourself want kind of broker a client like that looks for when they want to trade equity derivatives.  Presumably one that is well capitalized and has the capability to execute large transactions quickly and efficiently.  Even if you go to mid=cap or smaller hedge funds, the need for those qualities doesn't change.  It's not a boutique business, nor is it probably one where the client is looking for or expecting a fiduciary relationship.  It is a business dominated by other big players, and no big player is going to hire this guy.

So nice, guy?  Will you miss seeing him around the office?  You guys compete in the Jewish Olympics together?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2012, 03:07:48 PM
So nice, guy?  Will you miss seeing him around the office?  You guys compete in the Jewish Olympics together?

Okay, Marti.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on March 16, 2012, 03:14:22 PM

Okay, Marti.

I don't actually understand what JR does.  And he hasn't revealed where he works except that it's somewhere in Manhattan.  So I just assume he works at every major firm in New York that comes up for discussion.  He's a lawyer and he does something with economics.  I dunno, it's like magic to me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

fhdz

Plus, all those Jews are in cahoots anyway.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on March 16, 2012, 03:24:29 PM

Yeah, I liked to kid him, Malthus and Siegy about that.  Personally I think they are doing a fairly good job.  I'm glad they brought back Futurama.  The new Game of the Thrones season look exciting and I wanna see the new Hobbit Movie, so whole "controlling the media" thing is working out for me.

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2012, 03:31:12 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on March 16, 2012, 03:24:29 PM

Yeah, I liked to kid him, Malthus and Siegy about that.  Personally I think they are doing a fairly good job.  I'm glad they brought back Futurama.  The new Game of the Thrones season look exciting and I wanna see the new Hobbit Movie, so whole "controlling the media" thing is working out for me.

Sorry, I'm in charge of reality shows and popular music these days.  :Embarrass:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

You must have pissed someone off at the last meeting in the Cemetery of Prague.

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2012, 03:18:31 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on March 16, 2012, 03:14:22 PM

Okay, Marti.

I don't actually understand what JR does.  And he hasn't revealed where he works except that it's somewhere in Manhattan.  So I just assume he works at every major firm in New York that comes up for discussion.  He's a lawyer and he does something with economics.  I dunno, it's like magic to me.

"Who is Hyman Minsky?"
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

KRonn

WTF is with this guy? Wasn't satisfied with his multi-million dollar bonuses or something? Lol...