News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Why I quit Goldman Sachs"

Started by Barrister, March 15, 2012, 03:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

They do.  Just, you know, their shareholders.  And sometimes not even them.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

I wonder how many investment banks this guy worked for.  From the article it sounds like not very many.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2012, 10:19:09 PM
I wonder how many investment banks this guy worked for.  From the article it sounds like not very many.
Sounds like just one.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

fhdz

Quote from: Habbaku on March 15, 2012, 09:31:11 PM
They do.  Just, you know, their shareholders.

Yes. And "care" is probably the wrong word, too.
and the horse you rode in on

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2012, 04:44:32 PM
What was annoying is when this got e-mailed out to everyone in the office and then people responded.

Well, some of them were probably just asking where "Asia" was and if "Israel was a real country." :P

This guy, I like what he says about Goldman Sachs (they're evil) but I've never seen such a braggart in my life.  When he was writing his polemic did he accidentally copy and paste the file where he was brainstorming ideas for his CV?  And a Bronze Medal is second place loser, old man.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 15, 2012, 05:00:10 PM
MART: Plays jew attack!
IT BACKFIRES!
Neil : Calls the kettle black
ITS SUPER EFFECTIVE!
MART'S URBAN EUROPEAN SOPHISTICATE DISGUISE IS DESTROYED!

potm
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on March 16, 2012, 12:37:03 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 15, 2012, 05:00:10 PM
MART: Plays jew attack!
IT BACKFIRES!
Neil : Calls the kettle black
ITS SUPER EFFECTIVE!
MART'S URBAN EUROPEAN SOPHISTICATE DISGUISE IS DESTROYED!

potm

We totally should have POTMs again.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on March 15, 2012, 10:24:23 PM
Sounds like just one.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to hedge my bets.  If he only worked at one, what can he compare it to?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2012, 12:44:30 AM
That's what I thought, but I wanted to hedge my bets.

Perfect for the derivatives market! HEYYYY-YOHHHH

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2012, 12:44:30 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 15, 2012, 10:24:23 PM
Sounds like just one.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to hedge my bets.  If he only worked at one, what can he compare it to?

The ideal world that doesn't exist. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on March 15, 2012, 09:31:11 PM
They do.  Just, you know, their shareholders.  And sometimes not even them.  :P

It's important for our shareholders to increase their value by eliminating my salary.  :cry:

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on March 16, 2012, 12:36:16 AM
This guy, I like what he says about Goldman Sachs (they're evil) but I've never seen such a braggart in my life.  When he was writing his polemic did he accidentally copy and paste the file where he was brainstorming ideas for his CV?  And a Bronze Medal is second place loser, old man.
Yeah, well now he can look forward to bragging about being a chronically-unemployed loser whom nobody would ever trust in a similar position. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on March 16, 2012, 05:08:15 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 16, 2012, 12:36:16 AM
Yeah, well now he can look forward to bragging about being a chronically-unemployed loser whom nobody would ever trust in a similar position. :)

The guy worked there for 12 years. Depending on how he has been investing his money, that should be enough to retire/change into a completely different line of work, especially if he is prepared to move from New York to, say, rural Ohio. He will probably write a book, too.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

I figured he was opening his own investment shop and that this is a ton of free advertising.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.