The Big Stuff - You Have To Choose A Weltanschauung, So What Is It ?

Started by mongers, March 13, 2012, 08:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I've started listening to 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' radio series and it's providing an interesting counterpoint to other stuff I'm encountering, namely some of the occupy crowd that I've been spending some time with recently. 

And I've decided if I had to choose a world-view between that presented by Douglas Adam's H2G2 and the conspiracy obsessed, new world order/matrix/Zeitgeist/freeman crap that a significant minority of the occupy protesters hold as articles of faith, then I'd unfailingly go for the deceased comic genius's more realistic, positive outlook on the world over. Choosing it over that dark,self-defeating, pointless bollocks some of them have latched onto. 

Now I know we're all special balls of light here on languish, and I feel to some extent over the years one can get a feel for my fellow posters' outlook on the world/life, but lets say for the sake of the question, You have to accept or choose a recognisable world-view, to identify yourself by, what is it and why that choice ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: mongers on March 13, 2012, 08:04:16 PM
lets say for the sake of the question, You have to accept or choose a recognisable world-view, to identify yourself by, what is it and why that choice ?

Occupy Bournemouth.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

ulmont

"You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and
there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink."

Syt

- Most things aren't worth to get worked up about.
- Most people are stupid and self-centered, but on the whole they mean well.
- Things will work out in the long run.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Materialist Modernism

Everything is stuff and everything we know is stuff we know as a result of examining the stuff that actually exists.

That is my world view.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Monoriu

When I was in kingergarten, I thought that the root cause of all the world's problems was queues.  Price can be thought of as some sort of queue.  If there are fewer people queueing up to buy bread, the price of bread would go down, i.e. shorter queues. 

So, the solution is to increase production and production capacity to such an extent that there will no longer be queues.  Food, toys, flats, cars will be as abundant as sea water.

I still like that idea  :lol:

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on March 14, 2012, 04:14:55 AM
When I was in kingergarten, I thought that the root cause of all the world's problems was queues.  Price can be thought of as some sort of queue.  If there are fewer people queueing up to buy bread, the price of bread would go down, i.e. shorter queues. 

So, the solution is to increase production and production capacity to such an extent that there will no longer be queues.  Food, toys, flats, cars will be as abundant as sea water.

I still like that idea  :lol:

:hmm:

mongers

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?