Poland worth more than Apple; American journalists are dumb

Started by Martinus, March 13, 2012, 10:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

garbon

Isn't Apple worth more than Poland though? I'm hard pressed to think of something worthwhile in Poland.

Anyway, this bit seemed odd.
Quote"When you take the market cap of a company like Apple this can change very quickly," says De Grauwe. "It is quite possible that in five years the market cap of Apple could have dropped to $100bn or $200bn.

"Look what happened to Microsoft. Not so long ago Microsoft was the biggest company in the world. Now it has weighed down. The price of a company's shares can move up a lot, but can [also] crash."

as countries can crash to.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Poland does have tens of millions of people.  Those don't come cheap.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2012, 10:31:40 AM
Isn't Apple worth more than Poland though?

No.  Market cap is a stock, GDP is a flow.  If Apple's revenues were higher than Poland's GDP then the headline would work.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2012, 10:42:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2012, 10:31:40 AM
Isn't Apple worth more than Poland though?

No.  Market cap is a stock, GDP is a flow.  If Apple's revenues were higher than Poland's GDP then the headline would work.

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 13, 2012, 10:41:55 AM

I wonder which is worth more.  The new IPhone or a Pole? I'm think a pretty one with big tits.  The Pole that is, not the Iphone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2012, 11:01:07 AM

I wonder which is worth more.  The new IPhone or a Pole? I'm think a pretty one with big tits.  The Pole that is, not the Iphone.

Is this new Iphone still in development or has it been released? That's a three or four digit difference right there.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2012, 11:12:56 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2012, 10:47:54 AM
:huh:

Tell me which of the big words you didn't get.

I don't see how that relates to my flippant remark.  I guess there is some humor value in responding in a deadpan manner but it didn't work for me.

Solmyr

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2012, 11:01:07 AM

But if you had a pretty iphone with big tits, would you really need a Pole?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2012, 11:15:39 AM
I don't see how that relates to my flippant remark.

It relates to your flippant remark by being a refutation of it.

Scipio

They do in Chung Kuo.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2012, 11:21:15 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2012, 11:15:39 AM
I don't see how that relates to my flippant remark.

It relates to your flippant remark by being a refutation of it.

But I wasn't talking about the arguments put forth in the article nor advancing the same.

Scipio

When the President has to say that the President of the United States is relevant, he isn't.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt