Souter To Retire from USSC.

Started by jimmy olsen, April 30, 2009, 10:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

Obama had an interesting statement about his search criteria.  First independent and strong mind mind blah blah.  But then a person who looks at more than abstract legal theories but also considers the impacts on regular people, their jobs, homes, safety etc.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2009, 11:41:52 PM
Obama had an interesting statement about his search criteria.  First independent and strong mind mind blah blah.  But then a person who looks at more than abstract legal theories but also considers the impacts on regular people, their jobs, homes, safety etc.

"Interesting" is one way to put it.  He basically stated that he wants his candidate to ignore the law.

Valmy

Well it will be interesting to see how the next USSC appointment war ends up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 30, 2009, 10:32:45 PM
This just won't be as fun when the minority can't threaten to filibuster.

Ah crap you are right.  Well hopefully some Senator will say something hilariously stupid during the confirmation hearings to keep it fun at least.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

katmai

Quote from: Hansmeister on May 03, 2009, 07:53:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2009, 11:41:52 PM

"Interesting" is one way to put it.  He basically stated that he wants his candidate to ignore the law.

:lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2009, 09:51:39 PM

Ah crap you are right.  Well hopefully some Senator will say something hilariously stupid during the confirmation hearings to keep it fun at least.

With Specter switched now, the one guaranteed vote in committee is gone. There has to be one GOP vote in favor, and he was supposed to be it. I think Graham is on the Judicial Committee, so maybe there's hope. It would have been easier if Specter hadn't switched in this case.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

AnchorClanker

Quote from: KRonn on May 01, 2009, 11:41:27 AM
I don't think Souter leaving, and being replaced by the Obama admin will have much effect on the SC ideology? Seems to me that he's pretty liberal and will be replaced by same.

He's considered a liberal due to the company he has at work... most would be liberal next to Scalia and Alito.
Souter's an old-school NE mellow Republican, and his conservatism wasn't marked by rigid ideological principles,
but a reluctance to 'innovate' from the bench (left or right), and by his reverence for precedence.  He was a classic
'c'conservative without being a 'C'onservative, which seems to confuse people, and the hooplah about him being a
'stealth' candidate for Poppa Bush.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2009, 09:51:39 PM
Well, since the Democratic leadership is at least as boneheaded as the old republican leadership, we can always hope for a Majority Filibuster!  The Republican one was a real hoot! :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on May 04, 2009, 02:34:46 PM
Well, since the Democratic leadership is at least as boneheaded as the old republican leadership, we can always hope for a Majority Filibuster!  The Republican one was a real hoot! :lol:

:w00t:

Sheilbh

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 04, 2009, 02:16:17 PM
He's considered a liberal due to the company he has at work... most would be liberal next to Scalia and Alito.
Souter's an old-school NE mellow Republican, and his conservatism wasn't marked by rigid ideological principles,
but a reluctance to 'innovate' from the bench (left or right), and by his reverence for precedence.  He was a classic
'c'conservative without being a 'C'onservative, which seems to confuse people, and the hooplah about him being a
'stealth' candidate for Poppa Bush.
I always wonder about how much a judge's ideology is based on the big political issues that only occassionally come before the Supreme Court and how much on the plethora of smaller, important cases that aren't perceived as 'political'.

I like that Souter's dream is to run a class based on comparative readings of Proust and Henry Adams :)
Let's bomb Russia!