News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Souter To Retire from USSC.

Started by jimmy olsen, April 30, 2009, 10:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

We need someone who understand how real law enforcement in America works, and who will get tough on the darkies and such.

I think Sheriff Joe would be an excellent candidate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Fate

Joe's quite busy at the  moment. Perhaps Madame Justice Palin?   :bowler:

Berkut

Quote from: Fate on May 01, 2009, 02:44:33 PM
Joe's quite busy at the  moment. Perhaps Madame Justice Palin?   :bowler:

Really, it is the least Obama can do considering she threw the election to him!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on May 01, 2009, 02:52:49 PM
I had hopes for her.  I thought if she worked hard re-establishing her reformist credentials, brushed up on some national policy and just occassionally did a media show every now and then (to remind people she existed) that she'd be quite a plausible and attractive campaign.  That's not the strategy she's taken.  It seems like she's looked for every opportunity to appear mad and taken it :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 01, 2009, 03:03:00 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 01, 2009, 02:52:49 PM
I had hopes for her.  I thought if she worked hard re-establishing her reformist credentials, brushed up on some national policy and just occassionally did a media show every now and then (to remind people she existed) that she'd be quite a plausible and attractive campaign.  That's not the strategy she's taken.  It seems like she's looked for every opportunity to appear mad and taken it :(

How do you figure?

We get Alaskan news pretty regularily in our local newspaper, and it sounds like she's busy being governor in Alaska.  :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Then she might get the Yukon vote but for those of us who dont get the local news out of Alaska she has looked pretty silly on national Canadian and American broadcasts - when she comes up that is.

saskganesh

Quote from: Siege on April 30, 2009, 10:56:06 PM
Well, Tim did post the whole thing, while Weatherman just posted a link.

Tim 1 point , Weatherman 1/2 a point.

ironically in a thread about law and justice, Tim was the one who broke the law.
humans were created in their own image

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2009, 03:04:32 PMHow do you figure?

We get Alaskan news pretty regularily in our local newspaper, and it sounds like she's busy being governor in Alaska.  :mellow:
She seems to have made some odd choices.  Literally a dreadful Attorney General nomination who seems to have suggested that rape within marriage is okay and had this deeply bizarre analogy when asked how he'd deal with cases involving gays:
Let me give you an analogy. I hate lima beans. I've never liked lima beans. But if I was hired to represent the United Vegetable Growers would you ask me if I liked lima beans? No. If I disliked lima beans? No. Because my job is to represent the United Vegetable Growers.

I also believe she got into a big argument over an appointment that was to replace a Democrat, so I think that under Alaska law the Democrats get to choose a short-list.  She rejected their short-list three times and tried to nominate various other people instead.  I think she also said that the Democratic Senator (Begich?) should resign so there could be a special election because charges were dropped against Stevens.

That stuff isn't the quiet, focussed, reformist politics I think she needed to practise to re-defire her public image.
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2009, 03:04:32 PM

How do you figure?

:lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Zanza

What happens if that 89-year old judge gets Alzheimers but still lives for another ten years? Can Congress or his peers fire him?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 01, 2009, 03:15:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2009, 03:04:32 PMHow do you figure?

She seems to have made some odd choices.  Literally a dreadful Attorney General nomination who seems to have suggested that rape within marriage is okay and had this deeply bizarre analogy when asked how he'd deal with cases involving gays:
Let me give you an analogy. I hate lima beans. I've never liked lima beans. But if I was hired to represent the United Vegetable Growers would you ask me if I liked lima beans? No. If I disliked lima beans? No. Because my job is to represent the United Vegetable Growers.

I also believe she got into a big argument over an appointment that was to replace a Democrat, so I think that under Alaska law the Democrats get to choose a short-list.  She rejected their short-list three times and tried to nominate various other people instead.  I think she also said that the Democratic Senator (Begich?) should resign so there could be a special election because charges were dropped against Stevens.

That stuff isn't the quiet, focussed, reformist politics I think she needed to practise to re-defire her public image.

Where do you get this stuff? Do you have the Sarah Palin RSS feed or something?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

ulmont

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 01, 2009, 03:44:48 PM
What happens if that 89-year old judge gets Alzheimers but still lives for another ten years? Can Congress or his peers fire him?

Congress can impeach any Article 3 federal judge (district court, circuit court of appeals, or Supreme Court), which requires a simple majority of the House of Representatives to vote to impeach and then two thirds of the Senate to vote to convict.

To date, 13 federal judges have been impeached and 7 convicted...one of whom is now in the House of Representatives.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: ulmont on May 01, 2009, 03:58:18 PM
Quote from: Zanza2 on May 01, 2009, 03:44:48 PM

Congress can impeach any Article 3 federal judge (district court, circuit court of appeals, or Supreme Court), which requires a simple majority of the House of Representatives to vote to impeach and then two thirds of the Senate to vote to convict.

To date, 13 federal judges have been impeached and 7 convicted...one of whom is now in the House of Representatives.

LOL U RANG??

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 01, 2009, 03:55:02 PM
Where do you get this stuff? Do you have the Sarah Palin RSS feed or something?
I'm an English student.  I have lots of spare time :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: ulmont on May 01, 2009, 03:58:18 PM

Once the Democrats have their Senate supermajority, I would imagine that they'll start purifying the judiciary.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.