vM's Enthusiastic Near East Cousin Defeats US/Israeli Attack Plans ?

Started by mongers, March 09, 2012, 01:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

vM is going to be mighty conflicted about this story, hopefully he doesn't implode in a puff of logic/slideruleera. :unsure:

Bunker-busting - Smart concrete

Mar 3rd 2012 | from the print edition

Iran makes some of the world's toughest concrete. It can cope with earthquakes and, perhaps, bunker-busting bombs

A DUAL-USE technology is one that has both civilian and military applications. Enriching uranium is a good example. A country may legitimately do so to fuel power stations. Or it may do so illegitimately to arm undeclared nuclear weapons. Few, however, would think of concrete as a dual-use technology. But it can be. And one country—as it happens, one that is very interested in enriching uranium—is also good at making what is known as "ultra-high performance concrete" (UHPC).

Iran is an earthquake zone, so its engineers have developed some of the toughest building materials in the world. Such materials could also be used to protect hidden nuclear installations from the artificial equivalent of small earthquakes, namely bunker-busting bombs.

To a man with a hammer....

Please go to the economist to read the rest of the article:
http://www.economist.com/node/21548918
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

QuoteIt can cope with earthquakes

A shitload of dead earthquake victims say otherwise.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2012, 02:06:51 PM
QuoteIt can cope with earthquakes

A shitload of dead earthquake victims say otherwise.

Well they weren't making this until fairly recently.

It's certainly an interesting dilemma, multi-billion dollar weapons systems having to take account and defeat, a on the face of it, quite mundane material.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2012, 05:36:16 PM
It's certainly an interesting dilemma, multi-billion dollar weapons systems having to take account and defeat, a on the face of it, quite mundane material.

Yeah, and the Soviets used pencils in space.  Guess what? THE SPACE PEN WON BITCH

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2012, 05:36:16 PM

Yes, I am sure that weapons systems have never had to deal with mundane materials before.  Quite the interesting dilemma, indeed, wot wot?  :bowler:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

The muslim propaganda machine at work, trying to convince western people the upcoming airstrikes are going to fail.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017