A tearful Putin claims Russian election victory

Started by jimmy olsen, March 04, 2012, 07:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 06, 2012, 09:08:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2012, 09:06:08 PMWhich would you rather be?  Rich and powerful in an unfree state or poor and impotent in a free one?
Which of those describes Putin's Russia?  Even the rich are only as powerful as their sponsor, whoever that is, in the Kremlin or FSB allows them to be.

Did you see that recent 4-part bbc documentary about Putin, there's a classic scene were he descends on a cement factor at the centre of a conflict between the workers and the billionaire owner; he summons them to a meeting and insists the owner reopens to factory, demands he sign it then and there, and you can almost see the fear in the eyes of this hugely wealthy man.  Of whom in western democracies would be routinely fated by the political classes.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

I missed it, which is a shame.  I heard it was brilliant.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 06, 2012, 09:31:57 PM
I missed it, which is a shame.  I heard it was brilliant.

Yes it was. The insider talking heads about Georgia were fascinating. 

edit:
Looks like a couple of people have uploaded the whole series onto youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-NgW3Q7OYU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS1sGhdt-Xk

best to watch them quick before the bbc takes them down.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2012, 09:06:08 PMWhich would you rather be?  Rich and powerful in an unfree state or poor and impotent in a free one?
Which of those describes Putin's Russia?  Even the rich are only as powerful as their sponsor, whoever that is, in the Kremlin or FSB allows them to be.

I think the standard of living has increased rather dramatically since 1999.  Rich and powerful is more broad though, that was addressing my suspicions of libertarian conservatism.

There is a dichotomy here that has haunted the US since it's birth.  The conflict where a man will shout about any perceived transgression of their rights while being uninterested in the plight of a neighbor who lives in chattel slavery.  Libertarianism of the Conservative variety embodies some of these problems.  It is inherently selfish and regards property rights over political rights.  Or perhaps it simply does not care about the rights of others.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2012, 10:09:59 PM

I think the standard of living has increased rather dramatically since 1999.  Rich and powerful is more broad though, that was addressing my suspicions of libertarian conservatism.

There is a dichotomy here that has haunted the US since it's birth.  The conflict where a man will shout about any perceived transgression of their rights while being uninterested in the plight of a neighbor who lives in chattel slavery.  Libertarianism of the Conservative variety embodies some of these problems.  It is inherently selfish and regards property rights over political rights.  Or perhaps it simply does not care about the rights of others.
Free market would've freed the slaves if we just gave it a chance.  Slaves would've weighed their options, and then decided that being free would be more profitable than being enslaved.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2012, 10:09:59 PM

Standard of living's hugely increased.  As I said earlier I think there's many good reasons for Russians to vote Putin (not least the lack of effective opposition, which is by design).

I think you're wrong on the rest.  You've an axe to grind, which is fine.  But I think you've gone off in the wrong direction with this whole Putin-Libertarianism-Conservatism-Undemocracy tangent.  I just don't get it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

On Libertarianism and the Presidency, Cato are giving free downloads of the Cult of the Presidency, which is worth reading:
http://www.cato.org/cult-of-the-presidency/
Let's bomb Russia!