A tearful Putin claims Russian election victory

Started by jimmy olsen, March 04, 2012, 07:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2012, 10:17:18 PM
I wonder how a Putin type figure would do in the US.

He resigned on August 9, 1974.

11B4V

He appears to be the Russian version of, "The Most Interesting Man in the World."

He should do beer commercials
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 06, 2012, 07:23:52 AM

I don't think so.  While both are center right politicians, Nixons flaw was that he lacked the supreme self-confidence of other Presidents.  He never thought he was good enough, so he would cut corners and overstep boundaries.  He seemed to feel he needed to do this to even the odds.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2012, 07:58:51 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 06, 2012, 07:23:52 AM

I don't think so.  While both are center right politicians, Nixons flaw was that he lacked the supreme self-confidence of other Presidents.  He never thought he was good enough, so he would cut corners and overstep boundaries.  He seemed to feel he needed to do this to even the odds.

You've watched too many sympathetic bio pics, you fucking tool.  Never thought he was good enough.  Nigger, please.

Razgovory

How many sympathetic bio pics have there been?  The man was wasted most of his second term.  He was self medicating.  He just couldn't handle it anymore.  That guy was neurotic all his life and the Presidency caused him to have a nervous breakdown.  This does not excuse his actions, but he wasn't some sort of evil overlord type villain or cackling maniac.  He was Woody Allen who instead of fucking his daughter was spying on perceived enemies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2012, 11:03:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2012, 10:37:17 PM
I wonder how a Putin type figure would do in the US.  It's not something pleasant to think of.

Going by what Putin did the first time around, he wouldn't last half his term.

Really?  What do you mean?

He'd be impeached for, among other things, grabbing so much power for the executive branch.  Nixon doesn't come anywhere close to Putin.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

This is nonsense.  You don't become President if you lack supreme self-confidence.  You certainly don't become President and try to be a twentieth century Metternich if you lack it.  Also you don't have crazy things like CREEP and breaking into Watergate unless you've got a lot of self confidence.  He cut corners and overstepped because he thought he could.

Nixon's politics may have been motivated by resentment and paranoia.  He may have been an exceptionally needy man.  But none of that suggests he lacked self confidence.  He was not overawed by anyone in his time in office that I can think of, unlike, say Kennedy or Reagan at times.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2012, 10:15:05 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2012, 11:03:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2012, 10:37:17 PM
I wonder how a Putin type figure would do in the US.  It's not something pleasant to think of.

Going by what Putin did the first time around, he wouldn't last half his term.

Really?  What do you mean?

He'd be impeached for, among other things, grabbing so much power for the executive branch.  Nixon doesn't come anywhere close to Putin.

I'm not so sure.  During the last decade conservatives were writing about how we need a more "muscular" presidency, and cheered the grabbing of power by Bush.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 06, 2012, 05:57:19 PM
This is nonsense.  You don't become President if you lack supreme self-confidence.  You certainly don't become President and try to be a twentieth century Metternich if you lack it.  Also you don't have crazy things like CREEP and breaking into Watergate unless you've got a lot of self confidence.  He cut corners and overstepped because he thought he could.

Nixon's politics may have been motivated by resentment and paranoia.  He may have been an exceptionally needy man.  But none of that suggests he lacked self confidence.  He was not overawed by anyone in his time in office that I can think of, unlike, say Kennedy or Reagan at times.

I didn't say he lacked any self confidence, I said he lacked that almost messianic self confidence you see in Presidents.  Watergate was not an act of confident man.  It was an act of a man who felt persecuted and desperate.  You don't engage in desperate measures if you think you are invincible.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2012, 06:19:24 PM
I'm not so sure.  During the last decade conservatives were writing about how we need a more "muscular" presidency, and cheered the grabbing of power by Bush.
I buy into the whole Imperial Presidency theory.  I think the executive does far too much and Congress has allowed itself to be emasculated.  But nothing on the scale of Putin's changes.  For example he replaced elections for Governors (and I think Mayors) with appointment by the Kremlin which isn't subject to scrutiny by the Duma.  That's a million miles from what conservatives would want in the US or what would be plausible in the US.
Let's bomb Russia!