Maryland, model of gun control, torn asunder by activist Federal judge!

Started by CountDeMoney, March 07, 2012, 12:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2012, 05:46:15 PM
Who are you and what have you done with our Biscuit?

No shit.  It's incredibly disconcerting.

I think the Democrats' lack of fight on gun control is because they realize that it's a loser; its opponents pull out all the stops when it comes to the slightest discussion of any kind of control, and it's not worth the fight;  similar to the Republicans' approach to abortion back in the 80's and well into the late 90's (with the exception of bombing clinics and murdering doctors, but I don't think any GOP members of Congress were directly involved):  there was simply no traction with the opposition, so it wasn't worth the whole team effort.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 09, 2012, 05:30:22 PM
I'm fine with safety regulations for any right that can impact the public, because let's be honest gun ownership isn't something that happens in a vacuum and affects no one else in society. But any requirement that I need to demonstrate some "need" or "just cause" to get a firearms permit is simply unacceptable.

Bah.  When it comes to carrying a concealed weapon, you gotta have a good reason.  And "just because" is not a good enough reason to overrule "just cause".

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2012, 06:02:33 PM
I'm fine with safety regulations for any right that can impact the public, because let's be honest gun ownership isn't something that happens in a vacuum and affects no one else in society. But any requirement that I need to demonstrate some "need" or "just cause" to get a firearms permit is simply unacceptable.

Bah.  When it comes to carrying a concealed weapon, you gotta have a good reason.  And "just because" is not a good enough reason to overrule "just cause".

More good guys with guns than bad guys with guns = Just Cause
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2012, 05:46:15 PM
Who are you and what have you done with our Biscuit?

I've slowly transitioned from a Texas style Republican to a traditional New England style Republican. For me the biggest issue is I've slowly become more and more distrustful of the populace, to the point that I'm a lot more authoritarian than I ever thought I'd be.

I still believe free markets make economic decisions better than any government can, and I'm extremely fiscally conservative. I still think the invasion of Iraq was a justified moral action (although I've always questioned its strategic wisdom), and I think extraordinary rendition, water boarding, and warrantless wiretaps are justified uses of executive power just as always. It's just I've grown to intrinsically distrust the populace at large and largely think they do not know best on most issues.

As part of this, I'm fine with mandating the public get some level of government approval to do something dangerous like own a gun. I've also become very opposed to things like home schooling. I think the Germans have it right on that one, education of the population is a public order and health issue and I think crazy Christians who just want to pull their kids from public schools so they don't have to learn any actual science are hurting America and should have no right to weaken our workforce in such a manner.

The Brain

Do you think that openly supporting torture is strategically wise?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: The Brain on March 10, 2012, 11:15:00 AM

I don't see an intrinsic problem with it. The propaganda issue is moot, we could give people in Guantanamo a pet kitten and steak oscar for dinner every night and the propaganda leaflets brain-dead Arabs read over in the Middle East would still say they were being rape-tortured to death by Jewish sorcerors.

The Brain

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 10, 2012, 02:15:52 PM

I don't see an intrinsic problem with it. The propaganda issue is moot, we could give people in Guantanamo a pet kitten and steak oscar for dinner every night and the propaganda leaflets brain-dead Arabs read over in the Middle East would still say they were being rape-tortured to death by Jewish sorcerors.

Who cares about what Arabs think?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: The Brain on March 10, 2012, 06:11:25 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 10, 2012, 02:15:52 PM

Who cares about what Arabs think?

Not me, that's my point. But they are the only relevant reason I can think of to be coy about whether we are using "harsh" methods or not. Who else is there? The Europeans? I care less about what they say than the Arabs, the Arabs at least (a small number of them) actually do things, Europeans just pussy bleed so there is even less reason to give a fuck what the Europeans have to say.

garbon

I felt the strategy being utilized was one of attrition and ever expanding regulation as opposed to overt bans

If only that had continued. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 09, 2012, 07:44:27 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2012, 06:02:33 PM

More good guys with guns than bad guys with guns = Just Cause

So we can all shoot each other? Or are you suggesting some MAD situation? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

Mississippi doesn't ban open carry, but it doesn't permit it either.  It's in a total grey area that will likely never be covered, since the bill legalizing open carry dies in committee every year, and I'm not familiar with any cases in MS where someone was found guilty of violating the law through open carry.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on March 10, 2012, 07:09:29 PM
Mississippi doesn't ban open carry, but it doesn't permit it either.

I bet I know which one gets shot by the poleece in Mississippi.

CountDeMoney