Aberystwyth
0 (0%)
Newport
0 (0%)
Wrexham
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Josquius

For the jubilee one lucky town is to be awarded city status.

Who should it be?

Some of the least well known and worthwhile England and Wales options have been cut
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Several of those are already cities according to Civilization. Dover, Brighton, and Reading for sure.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

That's the 2000 Millenium City Status list.  Inverness, Wolverhampton and Brighton won.

The 2012 list is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_status_in_the_United_Kingdom
QuoteTo mark the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II, another competition was launched for towns to bid for city status, as well as for existing cities to bid for Lord Mayoralty or Provostship. It is expected that one new city will be created, as well as for one city to be granted a Lord Mayoralty/Provostship.[45] The six month application period opened on 1 December 2010, with the winners expected to be announced in the first half of 2012.[46] 26 applications were received, but that of Dumfries was rejected as invalid.[47] The remaining 25 applicants for city status in 2012 are:[48]
East of England: Chelmsford, Colchester, Luton, Southend-on-Sea
East Midlands: Corby
Greater London: Croydon, Tower Hamlets
North East England: Gateshead, Middlesbrough
North West England: Bolton, Stockport
Northern Ireland: Coleraine, Craigavon
Scotland: Perth
South East England: Medway, Milton Keynes, Reading
South West England: Bournemouth, Dorchester, St Austell
Wales: St Asaph, Wrexham
West Midlands: Dudley
Yorkshire and the Humber: Doncaster, Goole
Dorchester's a joke :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

You're not a city unless the Queen says so... Heh.

I vote for Cairo, Illinois.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

FunkMonk

The  :bowler: smiley is not English enough for this thread.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 06, 2012, 07:07:56 PM
That's the 2000 Millenium City Status list.  Inverness, Wolverhampton and Brighton won.

The 2012 list is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_status_in_the_United_Kingdom
QuoteTo mark the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II, another competition was launched for towns to bid for city status, as well as for existing cities to bid for Lord Mayoralty or Provostship. It is expected that one new city will be created, as well as for one city to be granted a Lord Mayoralty/Provostship.[45] The six month application period opened on 1 December 2010, with the winners expected to be announced in the first half of 2012.[46] 26 applications were received, but that of Dumfries was rejected as invalid.[47] The remaining 25 applicants for city status in 2012 are:[48]
East of England: Chelmsford, Colchester, Luton, Southend-on-Sea
East Midlands: Corby
Greater London: Croydon, Tower Hamlets
North East England: Gateshead, Middlesbrough
North West England: Bolton, Stockport
Northern Ireland: Coleraine, Craigavon
Scotland: Perth
South East England: Medway, Milton Keynes, Reading
South West England: Bournemouth, Dorchester, St Austell
Wales: St Asaph, Wrexham
West Midlands: Dudley
Yorkshire and the Humber: Doncaster, Goole
Dorchester's a joke :lol:

Yeah, no place says 'county town' more than Dorchester.

Sadly I'd have to vote for my local conurbation Bournemouth-Poole-etc the whole thing is 350,000+ people and should be recognised as a city.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 06, 2012, 07:07:56 PM

Woops :blush:

Well, it obviously has to be Middlesbrough in my book. Not only is it one of the biggest and most important of the lot in its own right but it is also the centre of Teeside which is very big and important and cityless.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Some of the pictures for those cities seem to have been selected by their worse enemies.

And I could live with a much smaller picture for Wolverhampton.

Razgovory

Telford looks more like a man then a city.  Is Brighten and Hove built entirely on the pier?  Also does Dover have anything besides that lighthouse?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2012, 07:38:00 PM
Telford looks more like a man then a city.  Is Brighten and Hove built entirely on the pier?  Also does Dover have anything besides that lighthouse?

:blink:

Enormous castle, largest in the UK.

Also largest passenger port in UK.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on March 06, 2012, 07:40:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2012, 07:38:00 PM

:blink:

Enormous castle, largest in the UK.

Also largest passenger port in UK.

Look, I don't even know where half these places even are.  I'm judging by the picture that Tyr posted.  He posts a photo of a city with horse drawn wagons, I assume it's a city with horse drawn wagons.  He posts a picture of Dover that consists of a cliff and a lighthouse, I assume that Dover is a cliff and a lighthouse.  He posts a photo Telford that appears to be a man sitting at table, I assume that Telford is in fact a man siting at a table.  I don't understand your damn customs.  Maybe your inbred monarchs decided to give this man his own area code or something and now he may qualify as a city.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Liep

I agree, Brits are weird about their geography. Also, it makes British stand up comics less fun.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk