Ron Paul, the Hamilcar of Presidential Candidates

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2012, 10:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on March 06, 2012, 06:40:15 AM
Because major disasters don't happen too often, so there is not enough data.  Because we still can't predict the occurance of earthquakes.  Because if it works, commercial insurance companies would have done it.

Why do you think there is enough data?

How do you know that major disasters don't happen too often? :lol:

CountDeMoney

We should get rid of fire departments, too.  And community hospitals.  Get your own fire hoses and paramedic kits.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 06, 2012, 07:15:52 AM
We should get rid of fire departments, too.  And community hospitals.  Get your own fire hoses and paramedic kits.
Beat you to it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

It is sooo not the same thing.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on March 06, 2012, 07:24:34 AM

Why not?  It's a case where government is being used to solve personal problems.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2012, 07:25:37 AM
Why not?  It's a case where government is being used to solve personal problems.

So is the National Guard helping preserve order and helping people to shelter, which Paul claims to be in favor of.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on March 06, 2012, 07:24:34 AM

Sure it is.  Organized, pooled assets for collective assistance and security within a community.  Local, municipal, state, federal. It's what we do.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2012, 07:27:07 AM

So is the National Guard helping preserve order and helping people to shelter, which Paul claims to be in favor of.

National Guardmen are state entities, not federal.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 06, 2012, 07:27:59 AM
Sure it is.  Organized, pooled assets for collective assistance and security within a community.  Local, municipal, state, federal. It's what we do.

The tragedy of the commons.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2012, 07:29:41 AM

No, you are.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2012, 07:27:07 AM

So is bailouts and government assistance.  So maybe he ain't so consistent after all.  Or maybe SSI employees should carry guns and have uniforms.  Maybe that makes the difference.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2012, 07:29:41 AM

Is that really what you want to invoke?  The danger of unregulated resources taken by private actors?  As far as I know, organized, pooled assets are regulated by definition.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2012, 07:44:01 AM
Is that really what you want to invoke?  The danger of unregulated resources taken by private actors?  As far as I know, organized, pooled assets are regulated by definition.

Really!

The tragedy of the commons is not that of unregulated resources taken by private actors, it's the overuse of commonly held assets.

Razgovory

And who is overusing the community assets?  Private individuals.  And the commons are assumed to be unregulated.  Like you know, grass or fish in the sea.  In fact the guy who coined the phrase later lamented he should have called it "The tragedy of the unregulated commons.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?