News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CdM: Question about your sig

Started by Martinus, May 04, 2009, 06:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote"Better that a whole generation of men, women, children should pass away by a violent death, than that one word of [The Declaration of Independence] should be violated in this country"
--John Brown, Abolitionist

The part about the generation does not make sense to me - if it is just one generation, then it wouldn't include children AND adults at the same time, since they would belong to different generations. Could you explain this to me?

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2009, 06:12:07 AM
Quote"Better that a whole generation of men, women, children should pass away by a violent death, than that one word of [The Declaration of Independence] should be violated in this country"
--John Brown, Abolitionist

The part about the generation does not make sense to me - if it is just one generation, then it wouldn't include children AND adults at the same time, since they would belong to different generations. Could you explain this to me?
Even if Brown were using the term scientifically, rather than generally, a generation could include both adults and children; just not the children of those adults.

"Generation" means, among other things, "a population born around the same time."  This is vague enough to include everyone alive at a given time, which is how Brown uses it (and Lincoln did much the same thing).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on May 04, 2009, 06:30:44 AM
"Generation" means, among other things, "a population born around the same time."  This is vague enough to include everyone alive at a given time, which is how Brown uses it (and Lincoln did much the same thing).

Yes though it was used in that sense alot more back in the day then it is today.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Who cares? He was doped out of his mind when he wrote that anyway.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.