And we're back!

Main Menu

Soft Drinks

Started by garbon, March 05, 2012, 02:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 20, 2012, 05:42:04 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 19, 2012, 11:35:25 PM
Coke is about as dumb a term for generic soda as there is. When I ask for a Coke, I don't want to have to clarify that I am in fact asking for a Coke, and not a Sprite or a Pepsi.

If you asked for a Coke, you wouldn't get a Sprite.  And if they offered Pepsi, they would tell you.

No, they'll just ask "What kind?" Which is annoying because I already told them. Thankfully, this happens very rarely, generally in the boonies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 20, 2012, 10:46:57 PM
No, they'll just ask "What kind?" Which is annoying because I already told them. Thankfully, this happens very rarely, generally in the boonies.

I imagine in Coke country when a person requests a Coke it means Coke, and it also functions as a substiute for soda when the speaker is not asking for anything. ("Don't drink too much Coke, it will rot your teeth.")

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 20, 2012, 10:46:57 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 20, 2012, 05:42:04 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 19, 2012, 11:35:25 PM
Coke is about as dumb a term for generic soda as there is. When I ask for a Coke, I don't want to have to clarify that I am in fact asking for a Coke, and not a Sprite or a Pepsi.

If you asked for a Coke, you wouldn't get a Sprite.  And if they offered Pepsi, they would tell you.

Then get out of the fucking boonies, Cleetus.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on March 05, 2012, 04:05:03 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 05, 2012, 04:00:47 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 05, 2012, 03:46:25 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 05, 2012, 03:31:08 PM
YOU DON'T HAVE COKE HERE WELL I NEVER I'LL JUST HAVE WATER

Yes, what's wrong with that response?

Petty, nonsensical, immature, and entitled.

Well it's the only way of helping them to recognize the error of their ways.  And while I know that it isn't really the waitstaff who can control it - it'd probably be more bizarre to call over their manager (which would likely also get them in trouble).

Not sure I understand entitled as a negative in this context.  I think restaurant goers are entitled to get the food that they want.

Ide would love the communist era restaurants in Poland. Only two items on the menu and you get what the working class (i.e. cooks and waiters) want you to get, not what your bourgeoise fancy suggests you may like.

There is even a permanent vegetarian option: potatoes.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 20, 2012, 05:38:32 AM
Laying off the sodas, not to mention maintaining a 2,000 calories-a-day diet, and I've lost 30 pounds since January 11th.  This weekend I was wearing jeans I haven't worn in 6 years.
Make of that what you will.

You are getting hipsterish in your dottage and have cancer?  :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2012, 04:25:42 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 20, 2012, 05:38:32 AM
Laying off the sodas, not to mention maintaining a 2,000 calories-a-day diet, and I've lost 30 pounds since January 11th.  This weekend I was wearing jeans I haven't worn in 6 years.
Make of that what you will.

You are getting hipsterish in your dottage and have cancer?  :hmm:

Lulz, I still have my button-fly 501s from when I was in my early 20s, when I had a 29 inch waist.  They're my "cancer jeans".  Just in case.  :D

Martinus

Jeez. I barely fit in 32-33. :P

CountDeMoney

I was buff back in the day.  You would've hit on me.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 21, 2012, 04:34:31 AM

Even if I use a creative imagination, I still don't think you were Marti's type.  (Of course that says little about whether or not he would have hit on you.)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on March 21, 2012, 09:18:32 AM

Even if I use a creative imagination, I still don't think you were Marti's type.  (Of course that says little about whether or not he would have hit on you.)
CdM manicures his hands so it's possible he does the same to his feet. Marti would be all up in that... if he got up in anything, but you know what i mean :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on March 21, 2012, 09:26:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 21, 2012, 09:18:32 AM

CdM manicures his hands so it's possible he does the same to his feet. Marti would be all up in that... if he got up in anything, but you know what i mean :D

Marti's standards strike me as a little more involved than are you a male with nice feet. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Is Marty into fungus?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?