9 Year Old NYC Kid Takes Subway Alone -- Bad Parenting?

Started by alfred russel, May 04, 2009, 05:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of this woman's decision to tell her kid to find his way home?

A good idea -- I would do the same with my children
16 (41%)
It was borderline -- I wouldn't do the same with my children, but it was her right as a parent
20 (51.3%)
A terrible idea -- but still within her rights as a parent to make that decision
3 (7.7%)
A terrible idea that constitutes child endangerment
0 (0%)
I don't even think Jaron should get on the subway alone
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on May 05, 2009, 08:05:29 AM
I know that by age 11 I was totally used to travelling alone on the subway, because that year the new Spadina subway extention opened, and I can remember going to each and every new station and collecting a transfer, spending a whole afternoon by myself doing this - and by that time single subway travel was already old hat for me. But I don't remember what age I started to ride on my own. Must have been around 9 or 10.

Since you like graphic novels and bande dessinée, you should check out Michel Rabagliati's excellent Paul series, either in album or in Drawn and Quarterly annual (or in the original French edited by La Pastèque). In one of the albums, Paul does the exact same thing.

Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 05, 2009, 10:36:13 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 05, 2009, 08:05:29 AM
I know that by age 11 I was totally used to travelling alone on the subway, because that year the new Spadina subway extention opened, and I can remember going to each and every new station and collecting a transfer, spending a whole afternoon by myself doing this - and by that time single subway travel was already old hat for me. But I don't remember what age I started to ride on my own. Must have been around 9 or 10.

Since you like graphic novels and bande dessinée, you should check out Michel Rabagliati's excellent Paul series, either in album or in Drawn and Quarterly annual (or in the original French edited by La Pastèque). In one of the albums, Paul does the exact same thing.

Really? Cool, I will have to check that out. Thanks!

Edit: this one? http://www.amazon.ca/PAUL-DANS-M%C3%89TRO-MICHEL-RABAGLIATI/dp/2922585271/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241537774&sr=8-1
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

Meanwhile, kids in Brooklyn need to be reminded not to eat racoon feces.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30558815
QuoteRare raccoon roundworm blinds NYC teen
Disease transmitted through contact with animal's feces, officials warn

NEW YORK - A rare disease transmitted through contact with raccoon feces has left a New York City teenager blind in one eye and an infant brain damaged.

The city's Department of Health warns parents to be on the alert for raccoon roundworm, which can cause nausea, nerve damage and even death. It says fewer than 30 cases have been reported in medical literature.

Health department spokeswoman Sally Slavinski says parents should supervise children to keep them from eating raccoon feces. Droppings should be picked up using gloves and disposable bags and put in the trash.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

The worms lay eggs in the feces; they hatch after being ingested and travel through the body.

The teenager lost sight in one eye in January. The infant has been hospitalized since suffering seizures and spinal problems last October. They're from Brooklyn.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 04, 2009, 09:25:59 AM
Actually, I think the decision to send him with a couple of quarters instead of a cell phone just waiting to be stolen was fairly clever. @Alfred: The question is: can you find a working payphone anymore.

yes they really still exist in NYC - every now and then I forget to recharge my cell battery and I have to use one.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson