9 Year Old NYC Kid Takes Subway Alone -- Bad Parenting?

Started by alfred russel, May 04, 2009, 05:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of this woman's decision to tell her kid to find his way home?

A good idea -- I would do the same with my children
16 (41%)
It was borderline -- I wouldn't do the same with my children, but it was her right as a parent
20 (51.3%)
A terrible idea -- but still within her rights as a parent to make that decision
3 (7.7%)
A terrible idea that constitutes child endangerment
0 (0%)
I don't even think Jaron should get on the subway alone
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on May 04, 2009, 09:25:50 AM
This woman should be killed and her child dissected for medical research.

Plus she should BURN IN HELL.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Alatriste on May 04, 2009, 06:23:16 AM
Borderline. I have a hard time imagining myself letting a 9 years old kid take the subway alone but this one seems highly intelligent and anyway his mother knows him and the city much better; the decision about when to let him take the subway was hers to take.

I think the thing most Europeans would find odd is, he didn't have a phone! Most kids here do already have a phone at that age, and certainly most fathers would give them one if they were free to take the subway alone.

Same in Korea. If a kid is old enough to talk, he/she's got a cell phone, it seems.
I routinely see little kids riding the buses and subways without parents around here.
I figure if they grew up in the city, whether NYC, Seoul, or DC, they'll generally be okay to ride alone by the preteen years, given certain restrictions (not after night, perhaps not in certain areas, etc.)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: saskganesh on May 04, 2009, 08:22:51 AM
a native 9 year old New Yorker should have the street smarts (or subway smarts) to pay fare, read a map and stay away from bad people.

mum should be commended for enabling her son's autonomy and initiative.

In theory, I agree with you.

In practice, I wouldn't make the same decision.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

merithyn

a native 9 year old New Yorker should have the street smarts (or subway smarts) to pay fare, read a map and stay away from bad people.

What he said.

Mom knows her kid. She knows if it's appropriate for him. I have three that would have been fine at that age; one who still gets lost coming home from school at 13. *shrugs*
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Meh, I'm OK with it.  When I was that age, I was taking public transit by myself all the time, and it wasn't unusual.

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on May 04, 2009, 07:09:36 PM

What he said.

Mom knows her kid. She knows if it's appropriate for him. I have three that would have been fine at that age; one who still gets lost coming home from school at 13. *shrugs*
On the one hand, I agree with what you're saying here.  On the other hand, it's this sort of 'listen to your body' stuff that gets you into trouble.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on May 04, 2009, 08:21:42 PM

On the one hand, I agree with what you're saying here.  On the other hand, it's this sort of 'listen to your body' stuff that gets you into trouble.

Had my son listened to his body, he wouldn't have ended up in ICU. :contract: :P

The truth is that there is no blanket age for any of these things. Some kids are more capable than others at different ages. What one can accomplish with ease another cannot for another few years.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

saskganesh

its like going to the hospital. you just follow the coloured lines.
humans were created in their own image

Brazen

Quote from: Monoriu on May 04, 2009, 05:31:43 AM
9 year old, boy, normal hours is fine.  If girl, then delay by 2-3 years.  If after midnight, not ok.
Why? Girls are more mature than boys, up to the age of about 40.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on May 04, 2009, 08:14:25 PM
Meh, I'm OK with it.  When I was that age, I was taking public transit by myself all the time, and it wasn't unusual.

I know that by age 11 I was totally used to travelling alone on the subway, because that year the new Spadina subway extention opened, and I can remember going to each and every new station and collecting a transfer, spending a whole afternoon by myself doing this - and by that time single subway travel was already old hat for me. But I don't remember what age I started to ride on my own. Must have been around 9 or 10.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on May 05, 2009, 08:04:32 AM
Why? Girls are more mature than boys, up to the age of about 40.

In what sense?  Being more neurotic and more likely to fall in love with people in prison?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2009, 08:09:45 AM
In what sense?  Being more neurotic and more likely to fall in love with people in prison?
And who are the ones that ended up in prison? I rest my case.

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on May 05, 2009, 08:19:48 AM
And who are the ones that ended up in prison? I rest my case.

We only do that to get chicks.  The ladies love a Convict.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."