And we're back!

Main Menu

Broken Windows done stay broke now

Started by CountDeMoney, March 02, 2012, 03:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteJames Q. Wilson, co-author of 'broken window' theory, dies at 80
By Elizabeth Flock

James Q. Wilson, a political scientist who helped initiate the move toward community policing across the U.S., died early this morning in a hospital in Boston after a battle with leukemia, the Boston Globe reports. He was 80.

Wilson famously co-authored the "Broken Windows" article in the Atlantic Monthly in 1982, which suggested that in communities, disorder is often followed by crime. In an interview last year with The Wall Street Journal, Wilson explained that "public order is a fragile thing, and if you don't fix the first broken window, soon all the windows will be broken."

The "broken windows" theory was debated in Malcolm Gladwell's 2000 book "The Tipping Point," and in Stephen J. Dubner's and Steven D. Levitt's 2005 book "Freakonomics."

Wilson was the author of more than a dozen books and his work often appeared in the national press.

Last month, Wilson wrote an opinion piece in The Washington Post about the state of income inequality in America. "[It] is not a question of who is rich, but rather of who is poor," he wrote. "The problem facing the poor is not too little money, but too few skills and opportunities to advance themselves." The piece received thousands of comments.

Wilson was a professor of government at Harvard University for 26 years, and later taught at the University of California, Los Angeles, and Pepperdine University.

He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2003 for his work and writings on public policy.

Razgovory

Seedy, what did you think of the Broken Window theory?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

In planning circles this theory (and the ones similar to it in tone) are known as "environmental determinism". There are a lot of folks who hold to it very fiercely, although from what I understand most criminologists see the broken-windows theory as one of correlation rather than causation.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on March 02, 2012, 05:48:18 PM
In planning circles this theory (and the ones similar to it in tone) are known as "environmental determinism". There are a lot of folks who hold to it very fiercely, although from what I understand most criminologists see the broken-windows theory as one of correlation rather than causation.

I was taught it doesn't really prevent crime, but does decrease the perception of crime in an area (which is good enough since most concern about crime is hysteria).  Also gives cops something constructive to do.  And Idle cop hands can be the devil's plaything.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2012, 05:28:04 PM
Seedy, what did you think of the Broken Window theory?

We had a really good thread on this some time ago, but I believe it's sitting on one of the seven previously blown Languish servers vM has supporting his box spring.  Can't find it here.

Anyway, I felt it had merit only to a certain degree, but a better theory for community law enforcement than zero-tolerance--which addresses nothing.

fhdz

Yeah, zero-tolerance doesn't really get at the causes, only the effects.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on March 02, 2012, 07:42:27 PM

Yeah, Also known as Zero-thought.  Way back when I took some courses in law enforcement.  I can see how working in that field can turn you into someone like Seedy.  Seeing the worst humanity has to offer on a daily basis has got to erode any kind of idealism pretty quick.  Watching  kids cry because you are hauling their abusive father away has got to feel awful.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2012, 07:58:39 PM
I can see how working in that field can turn you into someone like Seedy. 

Hey  :mad:

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 02, 2012, 08:02:11 PM
I can see how working in that field can turn you into someone like Seedy. 

Hey  :mad:

You are rather cynical and world weary.

11B4V

Yeah, Also known as Zero-thought.  Way back when I took some courses in law enforcement.  I can see how working in that field can turn you into someone like Seedy.  Seeing the worst humanity has to offer on a daily basis has got to erode any kind of idealism pretty quick.  Watching  kids cry because you are hauling their abusive father away has got to feel awful.

People generally follow the law until it inconveniences them. Which is most of the time.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Seeing the worst humanity has to offer on a daily basis has got to erode any kind of idealism pretty quick. 

If I had a dollar for everytime a suspect lied to me, I could keep languish running well into the next decade.

"This is the god's honest truth officer, no lie"  :rolleyes:

"I wouldnt lie to to a cop......." :rolleyes:

"That felony warrant was taken care of..I left the paperwork at home" :rolleyes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PDH

My ex-wife said that there were two kinds* of people in the world:

Lying fucks and Lazy fucks.

You could always figure out which they were by asking them.

(*I was that that special third category that combined the two)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

Quote from: PDH on March 02, 2012, 08:46:07 PM
My ex-wife said

(*I was that that special third category that combined the two)

:face:

Ex-wives are funny like that.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on March 02, 2012, 08:24:36 PM

"That felony warrant was taken care of..I left the paperwork at home" :rolleyes:

What's my name?

Are these my pants?

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 02, 2012, 09:09:09 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 02, 2012, 08:24:36 PM

What's my name?

Are these my pants?
RIP, Edward Kennedy.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt