News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My 6 Year Old Son Invents a Wargame ...

Started by Malthus, March 01, 2012, 09:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

... and it actually sorta works. I was very surprised.

He called it "Big Mountain Battle".

The materials were:

- 1 egg carton

- 12 dice (4 red, 4 green and 4 white)

- 2 little plastic toy cannons

The rules were:

there are two teams - the reds and the greens. The playing board is the egg carton, turned upside-down. The 12 egg compartments (the "mountains") are flat on top; each holds 1 dice.

Each player gets 4 colored dice, 2 white dice and a toy cannon. Roll all the dice together. Then, you carefully place each dice on a "mountain" on your half of the egg carton.

The colored dice are "infantry" and they (and only they) attack. They can attack by moving one mountain in any direction. The white dice are "cavalry" and they can add their points to any of your coloured dice. The cannons sit off each end of the egg carton. They fire at enemy troops each turn, and do 3 points of damage.

Battle works this way. Player 1 moves, at his choice, up to two cavalry to add to infantry (cavalry can move any number of mountains over to add to infantry). Player 2 then fires his cannon, taking 3 points from any one enemy dice he wants. Player 1 then attacks, or moves (if he wants) by moving one of his infantry, or infantry + cavalry, to an enemy mountain (if attacking) or in any case 1 mountain in any direction. You subtract the value of the defender from that of the attacker, if attacking. Any individual dice reduced to 0 is removed as killed. Then it is player 2's turn.

Anyone who reaches the enemy's end of the egg carton blows up their cannon. Winner is the player with pieces left.

When you are done, you can put the pieces in the egg carton for storage.

I haven't actually play-tested this game, but I was very impressed that he came up with it ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

My God Malthus you have condemned your son to a lifetime of Grognard-dom.  Has this place taught you nothing?  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Colored are infantry? Are these mountains in Vietnam?

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on March 01, 2012, 10:48:12 AM
My God Malthus you have condemned your son to a lifetime of Grognard-dom.  Has this place taught you nothing?  :P
He's raisinf a new generations CdM and doesn't even realize it :weep: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on March 01, 2012, 12:10:00 PM

He can prevent that by actually playing the game.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

szmik

reminded me  North & South from early 90s  :hmm:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 01, 2012, 12:36:09 PM

:pinch:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Kleves

Make sure he adds some white-on-black SS counters to the reprint.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 01, 2012, 12:36:09 PM

That gag is about as old as as gags about Yi's unemployment.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on March 01, 2012, 10:48:12 AM

I swear, it's genetic.  :D

I was very surprised - he came up with this totally on his own.