Wall Street Bonus Withdrawal Drives Bankers to the Despair

Started by Faeelin, March 01, 2012, 08:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Most high-earners save very little and live a highly-leveraged lifestyle (plenty of debt). Their net worth is usually smaller than we think and very susceptible to sudden life downturns.

garbon

Quote from: Phillip V on March 01, 2012, 11:56:36 AM
Most high-earners save very little and live a highly-leveraged lifestyle (plenty of debt). Their net worth is usually smaller than we think and very susceptible to sudden life downturns.

Cite? After all, how is that different from most people?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2012, 12:00:25 PM

Not that different at all. :)  Except the climb and fall are much steeper.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204336104577096410776256928.html
http://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Mind-Set-ebook/dp/B004EPYWM4/

crazy canuck

Quote from: Phillip V on March 01, 2012, 12:06:54 PM

Yep,  people who make a lot of money didnt suddenly become smarter then the rest of us with how they spend it.  They just have more epic ways to screw up when things go bad.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on March 01, 2012, 10:26:20 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 01, 2012, 10:12:22 AM
New York is pretty screwed up like that.  One of my good friends works for their city government and he pays a ridiculous amount of rent to share a Brooklyn brownstone with like four other professionals.  I fully understand making 350K a year will get you exactly jack and shit in that city.
And yet 95%+ of the people who don't make even that pittance somehow make it.  The problem is expectations, not income.

The problem is the cost of positional goods.

The population of Manhattan and prime Brooklyn at this point consists of:
+ residents of subsidized housing
+ recent college grads living 3 to an apartment
+ young single professionals and couples without kids
+ one child households making 200K +
+ Larger families earning 400-500K plus.

Of course, it is possible to stretch by moving to more "marginal" areas.  That has been happening since the 70s.  But the consequence is to drive out the people in the next income rung and eventually to bring up prices back to unaffordable level.  Gentrification has spread from the Upper West Side and the East Village in the 70s and 80s (both centrally located Manhattan neighborhoods) to neighborhoods deep in the outer boroughs in Brooklyn and Queens.  That may temporarily solve the problems of the second tier finance professionals but at the cost of driving out police, firefighters, teachers, middle manager types etc to the far outskirts of city and beyond.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2012, 11:20:20 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 01, 2012, 11:04:54 AM
Tying your lifestyle to a bonus doesn't seem prudent.

Didn't AR already state for us that bonuses for bankers are really kind of like a piece of their salary?  Sort of the same way that commission comes into play for salespeople? American waitresses on tips?

So they only have themselves to blame for not getting the bonus?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

I don't argue that NYC isn't a basketcase.  It certainly is, and I find it to be a highly unpleasant city.  However, most of my family lives in Brooklyn, they don't make six figures, and yet they manage to somehow live decently in a safe neighborhood and save.  It's all about setting your expectations level, and what you consider to be a life necessities.

CountDeMoney

I find NYC totally fascinating, and would love to live there.  Only thing is, it's full of New Yorkers.

But Marti actually has a point for a change;  in certain professions and at certain levels, you need to look the part, and that costs money.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2012, 01:06:20 PM
I find NYC totally fascinating, and would love to live there.  Only thing is, it's full of New Yorkers.

But Marti actually has a point for a change;  in certain professions and at certain levels, you need to look the part, and that costs money.

Okay there, Hollywood   :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

Quote from: DGuller on March 01, 2012, 12:53:20 PM
I don't argue that NYC isn't a basketcase.  It certainly is, and I find it to be a highly unpleasant city.  However, most of my family lives in Brooklyn, they don't make six figures, and yet they manage to somehow live decently in a safe neighborhood and save.  It's all about setting your expectations level, and what you consider to be a life necessities.

I found living in NYC was a lot more pleasant than having to travel to or from it regularly.  I'd never call NYC unpleasant, but it does have its own set of inconveniences.

KRonn

Wow, I feel so bad for them! To paraphrase, they say others don't understand the problems of the wealthy? Wow, just wow... such problems, to earn hundreds of thousands a year and still be able to get themselves into financial problems. Too frigging bad.  :glare:  What, do we now need welfare and food stamps for the wealthy?    ;)

DGuller

Quote from: frunk on March 01, 2012, 01:16:01 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 01, 2012, 12:53:20 PM

I found living in NYC was a lot more pleasant than having to travel to or from it regularly.  I'd never call NYC unpleasant, but it does have its own set of inconveniences.
Well, I'm not a social person, so the one advantage it does have is lost on me.  If you're a socialite, then of course NYC is for you.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2012, 01:08:00 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2012, 01:06:20 PM

Okay there, Hollywood   :rolleyes:

Remember, it's better to look good than to feel good.

frunk

Quote from: DGuller on March 01, 2012, 01:26:08 PM
Well, I'm not a social person, so the one advantage it does have is lost on me.  If you're a socialite, then of course NYC is for you.

At the point I was there I didn't have or need a car.  That's a huge bonus.  I also had hardly any stuff and a tiny apartment.  I'm not a social person either, but living in a tiny space and having a city full of museums, parks and scenic attractions meant I'd spend most evenings around town.  Activities were easy to find, and just about everything was within 15-20 minutes if you needed to hurry, depending on how you traveled.

PJL

Quote from: Phillip V on March 01, 2012, 12:06:54 PM

Mind you most people on a normal wage who'd answer the questions on the first article would be classified as high beta. So basically they're saying most people are in potential trouble.