News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Buffs to me

Started by crazy canuck, May 03, 2009, 07:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Just get a turbo diesel. Best bang for the buck period.

Also: Hybrids? I thought you wanted car buffs!  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on May 04, 2009, 12:26:13 AMIt also depends on whether you're mainly driving in the city or on the highway.  Hybrids can dramatically improve the efficiency of the city driving, because they overcome a lot of the inefficiencies from the stop-and-go driving. 
You could also get a diesel with a start-stop-automatic for city driving. Not as good as a hybrid, but an improvement.

QuoteOn the highway, however, hybrids over little improvement, given the same level of performance.
They are likely worse because they are considerably heavier. (at least if the normal engined car has the same other fuel saving features e.g. low friction tires)

DGuller

I don't think that weight would directly have a significant effect on highway cruising mileage.  Weight adds to rolling resistance, which is not a big factor at highway speeds compared to aerodynamic drag.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 04, 2009, 10:24:51 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 04, 2009, 03:20:10 AM
Just get a turbo diesel. Best bang for the buck period.

Why is that?

The VW one do like 1100km per tanks.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 04, 2009, 09:28:15 AM
They are likely worse because they are considerably heavier. (at least if the normal engined car has the same other fuel saving features e.g. low friction tires)

No, the mileage on most hybrids goes down on the highway for two reasons.  First, the electric motors cut out after reaching a certain speed threshold.  Second, they only charge up when the brakes are applied.  As a result most hybrids only use the gase engine on the highway and so  they get about the same mileage as traditional cars.

The Toyota Camry is a bit different in that the engine is designed so that both engines always work together and so it gets similiar highway and city mileage (both of which are very good) and it has a bit more horsepower then a comparable gas engine only car.

At least that is what the specs say.  It seems to good to be true.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2009, 10:28:33 AM

I dont think I would fit in it but what is that mileage in litres/100 km.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 04, 2009, 10:31:15 AM

How big are you?  I'm 6'2", and Jetta is a bit of a tight fit for me, but not an uncomfortable one at all.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 04, 2009, 10:30:11 AM
Second, they only charge up when the brakes are applied.

Actually, the civic charges on the highway when you've gone a steady speed for a bit of time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

City 6.8 & Highway 4.9
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Quote from: DGuller on May 04, 2009, 10:35:14 AM

How big are you?  I'm 6'2", and Jetta is a bit of a tight fit for me, but not an uncomfortable one at all.

Loco Canuck is 6'7"
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

For everyone advising to get a turbo-deisel - that would mean buying a german car. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on May 04, 2009, 10:35:14 AM

6'7'' and my boys will both be over 6 in the next 3-4 years.  So I need a car big enough to fit tall people in the front and back seats.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2009, 10:37:38 AM
City 6.8 & Highway 4.9

So that is about the same as the Camry Hybrid - 5.7 for both.  Pluse the Camry is a much bigger car.