News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars: Uprising

Started by Syt, June 05, 2015, 02:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.geek.com/games/star-wars-uprising-mobile-game-is-first-look-at-what-happens-after-return-of-the-jedi-1624421/

QuoteStar Wars: Uprising will be the first look we as a audience get into the period of the Star Wars Universe between Episode VI: Return of the Jedi and Episode VII: The Force Awakens. What we've learned about this December's Star Wars movie has introduced us to a new political landscape for the titular wars: who we used to call the Rebel Alliance is now the Resistance, and the massive evil power in the galaxy isn't the Empire, it's The First Order.

How things got to be this way after what seemed like a really nice Ewok bonfire party at the end of Return of the Jedi is one question that encapsulates many questions and many stories — and since this is Lucasfilm, a ton of products to fill in the gaps.

Currently, Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One (next year's Star Wars movie), Star Wars: Rebels on Disney XD, the Marvel Comics Star Wars books (wherein important canonical events happen), and the majority of the Del Rey published tie-in novels have kept the narratives in the gap between Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Episode IV: A New Hope. As the Star Wars Universe expands more into the "future" that will be established by JJ Abrams' The Force Awakens, expect Disney to start pushing product that will fill in the second gap between trilogies. That's what Star Wars: Uprising represents.

The game takes place closer to Return of the Jedi than The Force Awakens, and we can see from the trailer that word about the Rebels' victory at the Endor moon is spreading across the galaxy. The game — which looks like some sort of RPG variant, though it remains unclear — takes place in the Anoat Sector of the Star Wars galaxy, which is the part that includes Empire Strikes Back planets Hoth and Bespin.

The game will make players choose a class and level up that character to find new equipment and abilities. The launch announcement has the classes as "smuggler, bounty hunter, rebel guerrilla, diplomat, gambler, or something new entirely." The latter sentence might foreshadow the ability to become classes that would have an influence on future movies. For instance, the Jedi and the Sith seem to be left out of these classes entirely, making me wonder if they'll be hidden features or if they also undergo name changes between Jedi and The Force Awakens.

Outside of the launch trailer, Star Wars: Uprising has launched an official site where you can pre-register for the beta test of the game (beta is starting "in the coming weeks"). Those who pre-register will start the game with an additional "Founder" title and get some exclusive equipment. For signing up today, I got a Stormtrooper helmet, which I can presumably put on my character in-game, though wouldn't that have consequences in a game called "Uprising?" Like, practical consequences?

The story looks like the last gasps of the Empire to stay relevant. The official description lets it be known that you are cut off from the Rebel Alliance and need to fend for yourself: "In the days following the Battle of Endor and the fall of the Emperor, The Anoat sector has been locked down by the Empire. With the Rebel Alliance on the other side of the Iron Blockade, it falls to the sector's smugglers, freedom fighters, bounty hunters and gangsters to join forces and form an uprising."
Will an "Uprising" become a Resistance?

The reason to buy into this game now is twofold. One, you get to vote on the official sites for things like races that will be playable in the game or weapons you might want. If your vote wins, it looks like you'll get that asset in game. Vote now, vote often, and start with a bit more than anyone else. Two, the game will have some sort of galaxy-wide co-op element where teams need to work together to unlock the next leg of the Uprising story. If we're going to get any hints as to where we are at the beginning of The Force Awakens, we're going to have to work together.

So, sign up at playstarwarsuprising.com and I'll see you in the Anoat sector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOe48qJzMXs

https://playstarwarsuprising.com/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Okay, looking at the webpage ... what is this? A MOBA?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

What kind of announcement is it when they don't even tell you what kind of game it is? :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2015, 03:42:32 PM
What kind of announcement is it when they don't even tell you what kind of game it is? :hmm:

A highly suspicious one.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Ok, the trailer says it'll be on iTunes and Google Play. :x
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2015, 03:52:19 PM
Ok, the trailer says it'll be on iTunes and Google Play. :x

Well that just means it's a mobile game.  Nothing wrong with that.

Syt

Also, their "Community" link leads to Wookiepedia.

The best info I could find comes from LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-kabam-star-wars-uprising-post-jedi-world-mobile-gaming-20150603-story.html

QuoteKabam's 'Star Wars: Uprising' brings post-'Jedi' world to mobile gaming

The "Star Wars" video game galaxy continues to expand. This fall Kabam will publish "Star Wars: Uprising," a mobile game set after the events of "Star Wars: Episode VI -- Return of the Jedi" and before this December's "Star Wars: Episode VII -- The Force Awakens."

The heavily social game will pit players -- all the players -- together in a battle against the Empire. The bad guys here will be entirely controlled by the game.

Events in the game will help fill in some of the details in the "Star Wars" universe prior to the launch of the new trilogy, the first film of which will open in December and be directed by J.J. Abrams.

"This is a fairly uncovered time frame within canon," says Aaron Loeb, a senior executive with Kabam. "What happened right after the Emperor died? How did the news reach the people? What happened to the rebellion? This is a really fertile and interesting time period to be playing in."

Adds Loeb, "It's the first time there's been a game set in that time period on mobile."

Players will create a character, picking among four different races. The touch-based game will be set in the Anoat Sector of the "Star Wars" galaxy. For those familiar with the films but not up on the "Star Wars" world map, simply know that popular locales such as Hoth and Cloud City are found in the Anoat Sector.

A role-playing game developed by San Francisco's Kabam RPG Studio, the company behind the well-received "Spirit Lords," "Star Wars: Uprising" will be free to play. Those willing to invest the time, says Loeb, will be able to play the full game without spending a dime, but players will have the opportunity to buy gear, crew members and numerous other customizable options.*

Upon boot-up, Loeb says, the game is designed to get users playing almost instantly. At the start of the game, players will inhabit the role of a smuggler being targeted by Imperial forces.

"They capture you smuggling something that's extremely illegal," Loeb says. "So you start on the run, and right away we teach you fighting and how to get away from Imperial troops. You'll fight your way through some caves and use explosives to make sure you can't get followed by the Imperial forces. It starts with action.

"Within a few missions," Loeb continues, "you are running new smuggling and recovery missions for a local crime boss. From there you're collecting your crew and starting to understand what's going on in the sector."

As the game progresses, and further delves into an uprising against the Empire in the Anoat Sector, players will be able to increasingly mold characters to their liking.

"A huge amount of what you're doing is collecting the gears and abilities for the kind of 'Star Wars' hero you want to be, whether you want to be a diplomat or a bounty hunter or a gambler or a raconteur," Loeb says.

The game is designed to constantly evolve. There will be staged events that will attempt to galvanize players -- so-called "sector battles" -- allowing downloaders to engage in real-time battles against the Empire with friends.

"Star Wars: Uprising" is targeted for a fall release and was developed in close collaboration with the Walt Disney Co. and Lucasfilm. Those working on the game include Daniel Erickson, a former creative director on "Star Wars: The Old Republic," and Danny Keller, an animation supervisor on "Star Wars: The Clone Wars."

"You can rest assured that Lucasfilm is very aware of everything that is in this game," Loeb says. "It is very much a part of the universe that is being built between the end of 'Jedi' and the new movies."

*How this is balanced will decide for me whether or not this is worth picking up.

Meanwhile, Marvel comics give Han a canonical (for now) wife: Sana Solo.

—Stephen Jay Gould

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2015, 04:00:46 PM

You'd think after the last 25 years of EU there would be only numbness by now, but sometimes I still get pissed off.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 05, 2015, 04:19:20 PM

You'd think after the last 25 years of EU there would be only numbness by now, but sometimes I still get pissed off.

The idea that Han Solo married some two-bit floozy then walked out on her long ago doesn't seem like much of a stretch...

Kleves

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2015, 04:22:04 PM
The idea that Han Solo married some two-bit floozy then walked out on her long ago doesn't seem like much of a stretch...
Makes Leia falling for him a bit more of a stretch.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2015, 04:22:04 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 05, 2015, 04:19:20 PM

According to her Wiki article it seems she's a tough action chick. Seems she's modeled a bit after Salla Zend, Han's ex-girlfriend in the Expanded Universe Star Wars Legends (similar look, connections to Nar Shaddaa ... ).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Salla_Zend

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sana_Solo
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

She has snakes for hair.  That's a bad sign in a woman.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I guess it's supposed to be dreadlocks, like Quinlan Vos had.

—Stephen Jay Gould