Dumb questions: "Jesus" as a first name?

Started by Capetan Mihali, May 04, 2009, 03:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Tyr on May 04, 2009, 03:59:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2009, 03:29:43 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 04, 2009, 03:25:16 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 04, 2009, 03:07:54 PM

It's all pretty amusing as he was JOSHUA (Yeshua)

Jesus is a bad translation that stuck.

If true that is a AWFUL translation. Utterly different...

Awful? :yeahright:

wiki:

Quote"Jesus" (IPA: /ˈdʒizʊs/) is a transliteration, occurring in a number of languages and based on the Latin Iesus, of the Greek Ἰησοῦς (Iēsoûs), itself a Hellenisation of the Hebrew יהושע (Yehoshua) or Hebrew-Aramaic ישוע (Yeshua ), (Joshua), meaning "the Lord rescues" or "the Lord delivers."

QuoteYeshua, spelled יֵשׁוּעַ (Yēšûă') or ישוע in Hebrew was a common name among Jews of the Second Temple Period, and is believed by some scholars and religious groups to be the Hebrew or Aramaic name for Jesus.
:unsure:
I don't know what you're saying here.
Yeshua and Jesus sound utterly different.

Yes, it would sound different, as the Greek-derived Latin translation made the "Y" into the "I/J" and made the "SH" into "S"
It's actually a double translation.  Take McDonalds, translate it into Japanese, and then from the Japanese into the Russian.
Much of a muchness.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

PDH

What crap, you don't know Iesu.

(Note, for pedants, the proper use of the vocative case)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

AnchorClanker

Quote from: PDH on May 06, 2009, 09:56:51 AM
What crap, you don't know Iesu.

(Note, for pedants, the proper use of the vocative case)
:P

This vaguely reminds me of the Jehovah's Witnesses and their stance on the name of Hod.
Again YWYH = Jehovah only *after* translation.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

PDH

If I translate all of my swear words into nonsense words or things like "fudge" and "sugar" then I am no longer swearing.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

AnchorClanker

Quote from: PDH on May 06, 2009, 10:00:31 AM
If I translate all of my swear words into nonsense words or things like "fudge" and "sugar" then I am no longer swearing.

Indeed.  If "propaganda" becomes "strategic communication", then it MUST be ok and perfectly valid stuff.
Likewise with "torture" and "enhanced interrogation techniques".  "Estate Tax" and "Death Tax".  Spin is fun.

Oexmelin

No Jésus I can think of in French. There is probably a taboo on it. Some rare Josué, however.
Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 06, 2009, 09:40:03 AM
Yes, it would sound different, as the Greek-derived Latin translation made the "Y" into the "I/J" and made the "SH" into "S"
It's actually a double translation.  Take McDonalds, translate it into Japanese, and then from the Japanese into the Russian.
Much of a muchness.

OMG, Yochanan, Iōannēs, Johann, Ivan, Juan, John, and Jean don't sound a like! :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: Caliga on May 04, 2009, 06:40:30 PMIf I want to name my son Fuckface, I should be allowed to.  :mad:
Nein, ze state knows what's best for you.  :contract:

Related, from yesterday:
QuoteGerman court shoots down triple-barrelled names

1 day ago

KARLSRUHE, Germany (AFP) — A German married couple, the Thalheim-Kunz-Hallsteins, lost a battle before the country's top court Tuesday to defend the use of triple-barrelled names.

The plaintiff, a woman born Frieda Thalheim, had argued that a law passed in 1993 to ban couples from stringing more than two family names together violated their personal rights.

She had aimed to affix the last name of her husband, Hans-Peter Kunz-Hallstein, to her own maiden name, under which she had established a successful dentistry practice.

The Federal Constitutional Court ruled five-to-three that banning unwieldy names was "reasonable", noting that Thalheim had the right to use her maiden name professionally and her legal, married name in other settings.

It added that names had the function in a society of tracing a family line and that endlessly complicated names would create confusion.

"To this end, the legislative branches created laws to stifle the creation of multiple names," the court said.

Defenders of triple-pronged names had cited as prominent examples champion biathlete Simone Greiner-Petter-Memm and prominent pollster Elisabeth Noelle-Neumann-Maier-Leibnitz, who nevertheless dropped the second half of her family name after her husband died.

crazy canuck

Somebody in a car with my wife driving might come to the conclusion that there are a lot of people named Jesus or even Jesus Christ.