News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is this child abuse?

Started by derspiess, February 22, 2012, 03:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on February 22, 2012, 06:33:11 PM
In cases like these, I tend to trust parents over children and Martinus.

Marty's parents clearly didn't beat him enough as a child. :yes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

So, zip ties are a no-no. Duct tape is still OK right? :unsure:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 22, 2012, 07:20:48 PM
So, zip ties are a no-no. Duct tape is still OK right? :unsure:

Yes. And bungee cords.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

He should have just shot her laptop.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jaron

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 22, 2012, 06:48:27 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 22, 2012, 06:33:11 PM
In cases like these, I tend to trust parents over children and Martinus.

Marty's parents clearly didn't beat him enough as a child. :yes:

:lol:

There was a thread like this on Paradox OT years ago (2002 or so) and I told Martinus he wouldn't have been gay if his parents had just hit him more and he threw a massive drama fit and didn't talk to me for all of three days.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jaron on February 22, 2012, 08:39:10 PM
There was a thread like this on Paradox OT years ago (2002 or so) and I told Martinus he wouldn't have been gay if his parents had just hit him more and he threw a massive drama fit and didn't talk to me for all of three days.

Three days has to be some kind of record.  Clearly he was PO'ed something fierce.

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on February 22, 2012, 08:03:26 PM

I still think that is a waste of ammunition.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 22, 2012, 09:01:56 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 22, 2012, 08:03:26 PM

I still think that is a waste of ammunition.

Just gotta charge the kid for the ammo used on the laptop like that other guy did.

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on February 22, 2012, 05:44:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2012, 05:22:02 PM
Precisely.

Something like this might have been acceptable to a younger child - hell I restrain my toddler on a daily basis.  But on a 15 year old?  That just doesn't fly.

I'm not 100% sure I follow that.  You restrain your toddler, but certainly you don't use zip ties and bind his wrists and ankles.  I can't think of many situations where that would be appropriate for a child of any age.

BB is ignoring how the child was restrained because the child is simply too old to be restrained no matter how.

In Canada, if I understand this right, max age for corporal punishment is 12.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 22, 2012, 04:58:20 PM
This is Languish/internet. No matter how obvious the answer is, there will always be a cretinous idiot deserving to die in a fire together with anyone who has anything to do with his gene pool martinus to argue otherwise.
See how much more concise you can be when you use proper terminology?  Expand your vocabulary and shorten your posts, plz.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

QuoteATTALLA, Ala. -- Roger Simpson said he looked down the road and saw a little girl running outside her home but didn't give it another thought. Police, however, said the man witnessed a murder in progress.

Authorities say 9-year-old Savannah Hardin died after being forced to run for three hours as punishment for having lied to her grandmother about eating candy bars.

Severely dehydrated, the girl had a seizure and died days later. Now, her grandmother and stepmother, who police say meted out the punishment, were taken to jail Wednesday and face murder charges.

Witnesses told deputies Savannah was told to run and not allowed to stop for three hours on Friday, an Etowah County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman said. The girl's stepmother, 27-year-old Jessica Mae Hardin, called police at 6:45 p.m., telling them Savannah was having a seizure and was unresponsive.

Simpson said he saw a little girl running at around 4 p.m., but didn't see anybody chasing or coercing her.

"I saw her running down there, that's what I told the detectives," Simpson said from his home on a hill overlooking the Hardins. "But I don't see how that would kill her."

'Ran her until she dropped'
Natalie Barton, Etowah County, Alabama Public Information Officer, told Reuters that a call placed to a 911 emergency operator reported an unresponsive child having seizures.

"It appears they ran her until she dropped," Barton added.

However, authorities were still trying to determine whether Savannah was forced to run by physical coercion or by verbal commands. Deputies were told the girl was made to run after lying to her grandmother, 46-year-old Joyce Hardin Garrard, about having eaten the candy, sheriff's office spokeswoman Natalie Barton said.

Savannah died Monday at Children's Hospital in Birmingham, according to a news release from the sheriff's office. The sheriff's release said an autopsy report showed the girl was extremely dehydrated and had a very low sodium level. A state pathologist ruled it a homicide.

The sheriff's office received calls from concerned citizens who witnessed the girl running. An official with the local volunteer fire department also said rescuers thought something seemed odd when they responded to a call about the child.

"One of the ones who were down there said he didn't feel like everything was right," said Ruby Ward, vice president of the Mountainboro Volunteer Fire Department.

Garrard and Jessica Mae Hardin were being held in the Etowah County Detention Center, each on a $500,000 cash bond.

Savannah was a third-grader at Carlisle Elementary School. Superintendent Alan Cosby said her desk had been turned into a makeshift memorial where her classmates could leave notes and mementos. He said counselors and social workers were made available for students.

"This is obviously a very tragic, devastating, heartbreaking situation," Cosby said. "Nothing like this has ever happened before."

Scipio

Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2012, 05:26:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2012, 05:22:37 PM
Or as they would say on ESPN, a different slant on the matter.

:lol: Aha, I've found the chink in your armor!
We need to stay off the slippery slope arguments, here.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Quote from: Scipio on February 23, 2012, 09:51:53 PM

I don't get Linsanity.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 09:57:19 PM

I don't get Linsanity.

You wouldn't understand as not being a minority.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: katmai on February 23, 2012, 10:34:24 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 09:57:19 PM

I don't get Linsanity.

You wouldn't understand as not being a minority.

:P

Didn't we already have Yao Ming?  Different China, but whatevs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.