Affirmative action in college admissions likely to be struck down by Supremes

Started by jimmy olsen, February 21, 2012, 08:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 22, 2012, 10:37:59 PM
What has changed that all the yankee republicans have moved south, turning the south into a republican stronghold, while turning the north Democrat.
Seriously?  Is this utter horseshit the best you got?

Tonitrus

Indeed.  What really happened is that those yankee Republicans gave birth to rebellious hippies, who have in turn, transformed into "environmentally/socially-conscious" baby boomers, who have themselves given birth to jaded, cynical Gen-X'ers, who are just now raising emo punks, hipsters and animetards.

Hansmeister

Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2012, 02:20:06 AM
What has changed that all the yankee republicans have moved south, turning the south into a republican stronghold, while turning the north Democrat.

Just look at internal migration patterns in the US, or is that too much thinking for your part?  The massive population influx into the South from the North has utterly remade the southern states.

DGuller

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 23, 2012, 02:32:29 AM

Just look at internal migration patterns in the US, or is that too much thinking for your part?  The massive population influx into the South from the North has utterly remade the southern states.
Some migration obviously happened.  However, to take the leap of faith that:  1)  Migration was overwhelmingly Republican and 2) That migration was significant enough to flip the Southern states from Democrat strongholds to Republican strongholds is the kind of utterly unsupported reasoning I'm pounding on here.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 22, 2012, 01:42:52 PM
The GOP of 1864 had some radical abolitionists in it but they were the fringe of the party.

Majority? No.  But fringe?  That's what eLearning from Beck University does to the brain.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 23, 2012, 02:32:29 AM

Some counties in North Carolina, but that still doesn't explain Pennsyltucky.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2012, 02:41:58 AM
Some migration obviously happened.  However, to take the leap of faith that:  1)  Migration was overwhelmingly Republican and 2) That migration was significant enough to flip the Southern states from Democrat strongholds to Republican strongholds is the kind of utterly unsupported reasoning I'm pounding on here.

Much as I hate to agree with you, you are correct to challenge the concept that today's Southern Republicans were yesterday's Norrthern republicans, rather than yesterday's Southern Democrats.  I live in a part of Virginia relatively untouched by flight from the north, and most of the people I talk to are staunch Republicans; those older than about 50 will concede to once having been staunch Democrats, before the "party abandoned them."  Election results in this area bear that out.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2012, 07:02:11 AM
Some counties in North Carolina, but that still doesn't explain Pennsyltucky.
Pennsyltucky = no joke.  Between Philly and Pittsburgh you've got Alabama North right there (exception: Harrisburg).

If most people on this forum heard my dad's parents speak (natives of the region), they would think them to be Southerners.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2012, 06:52:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 22, 2012, 04:53:56 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 22, 2012, 01:36:48 PM
It's pretty scary, actually, to see how close of a mirror image these two maps are.  It has been 150 years, and the voting blocks are still pretty much the same, only their parties flip-flopped.

You cherry-picked one election year, albeit the most recent.  Looking at the maps for the previous several presidential elections, the "voting blocks" are a bit different, save for maybe New England and New York.

It's not really cherry picking when you chose the last Presidential election.

Unless you think all future elections will be exactly like 2008, then yeah it is.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on February 23, 2012, 11:06:33 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2012, 06:52:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 22, 2012, 04:53:56 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 22, 2012, 01:36:48 PM
It's pretty scary, actually, to see how close of a mirror image these two maps are.  It has been 150 years, and the voting blocks are still pretty much the same, only their parties flip-flopped.

You cherry-picked one election year, albeit the most recent.  Looking at the maps for the previous several presidential elections, the "voting blocks" are a bit different, save for maybe New England and New York.

It's not really cherry picking when you chose the last Presidential election.

Unless you think all future elections will be exactly like 2008, then yeah it is.

I don't think cherry picking really applies as a term when you pick what is essentially the current day.  That said, yes it is important to establish that things might change from that, but it isn't inherently dishonest to compare today with the past.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Raz doesn't know what he is talking about, of course.

Jimmy Carter swept every southern state but Virginia in '76.  What does that tell us? 

Never, never run an offensive lineman for President.

QuoteWhat has changed that all the yankee republicans have moved south, turning the south into a republican stronghold, while turning the north Democrat.

:huh:
:blink:

Here I was thinking all along that the core of GOP support in the South was evangelicals and descendants of the Wallace-ites that Nixon brought in; turns out it's really the hordes of millions of Thurston Howell IIIs who left Newport and Park Avenue for Pascagoula and Mobile.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 23, 2012, 02:42:44 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 23, 2012, 02:36:04 PM
Never, never run an offensive lineman for President.

At least not one from that school...   :P

Indeed.  Once you've been an offensive lineman for Michigan, it is hard to get excited about taking the step down to being a mere President of the United States.  Better to find a football player from any other team, for whom the move to POTUS is a step up. You'll get more energy that way.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on February 23, 2012, 07:41:52 AM
Pennsyltucky = no joke.  Between Philly and Pittsburgh you've got Alabama North right there (exception: Harrisburg).

If most people on this forum heard my dad's parents speak (natives of the region), they would think them to be Southerners.

South Jersey, too.  One of the reasons the state seems so heavily divided is that the southern half of the state had a massive influx of Kentuckians after the Civil War.
Experience bij!