Affirmative action in college admissions likely to be struck down by Supremes

Started by jimmy olsen, February 21, 2012, 08:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 22, 2012, 01:23:56 AM
At what point would we be able to objectively look and say "affirmative action has served it's purpose; it's time to phase it out?" 

When you can look in the mirror and say, you know, I really wish I was a Nigger/Spic/Miscellaneous.  They have it soooo made.

Until you can answer that honestly, it hasn't really served its purpose.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2012, 06:23:38 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 22, 2012, 01:23:56 AM
At what point would we be able to objectively look and say "affirmative action has served it's purpose; it's time to phase it out?" 

When you can look in the mirror and say, you know, I really wish I was a Nigger/Spic/Miscellaneous.  They have it soooo made.

You had to bring race into it, didnt you?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on February 22, 2012, 06:51:29 AM

Seedy can't help it.  He's Irish, and therefor not white, but still not accepted by the blacks or Hispanics.  Only the Portuguese acknowledge kinship with the Irish.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on February 22, 2012, 07:12:23 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 22, 2012, 06:51:29 AM

Seedy can't help it.  He's Irish, and therefor not white, but still not accepted by the blacks or Hispanics.  Only the Portuguese acknowledge kinship with the Irish.

I am the Great Incandescent Hope.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2012, 06:39:29 AM
Sure you do.
SRSLY.

1.  Latina chicks are hot.  Also wise. :)
2.  I like rice and beans.
3.  We'll eventually have a Latino majority anyway, so if you can't beat em, might as well join em.
4.  Affirmative action. :cool:

Caliga

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Quote from: Caliga on February 22, 2012, 07:34:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2012, 06:39:29 AM
Sure you do.
SRSLY.

1.  Latina chicks are hot.  Also wise. :)
2.  I like rice and beans.
3.  We'll eventually have a Latino majority anyway, so if you can't beat em, might as well join em.
4.  Affirmative action. :cool:

El Sharape and Taco Bell dont count.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2012, 06:23:38 AM

There we go, then.  I dunno about Baltimore, but I've done that exact thing before.  Not having to take accountability for anything (at least locally) could be worth its weight in gold.
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 22, 2012, 08:18:00 AM
There we go, then.  I dunno about Baltimore, but I've done that exact thing before.  Not having to take accountability for anything (at least locally) could be worth its weight in gold.

:lol:

It doesn't really count when it is one of those white kids bemoaning a specific policy without thinking it all through.  What's next? Where's White Pride at y'all?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Faeelin

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 21, 2012, 09:35:42 PM

Note that I said "equalize the quality" that probably means spending far more money on the poorest school districts, not spending the same amount of money. That's part of the reason this approach isn't followed, but another part of the reason is you can't just throw money at it, you have to do more. What? I don't know. But I know shitty inner city schools already receive massive amounts of funding (I think D.C.s are usually near the top in ranks of highest spending per student) and are still god awful.

I agree with you, but what bothers me is that I don't think anyone believes that if we got rid of AA we'd see more of a push to help out minority students. It's either a crappy bandage or nothing.

I also find the histrionics over affirmative action by some white people to be a bit much. My Dad still rants that some black guy stole his spot in law school, because, you know, affirmative action exists. Yes, it's a misguided policy whose benefits are overrated. But it's not this huge injustice.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 22, 2012, 08:27:57 AM
It doesn't really count when it is one of those white kids bemoaning a specific policy without thinking it all through.  What's next? Where's White Pride at y'all?

It's always the same with Whitey;  decades of drinking the GOP Kool-Aid, they're convinced that 89% of the federal budget goes to 12,000 single black women, Harvard is required to admit 350 black people for 412 freshman spots, and food stamps are delivered personally, all of them individually addressed, gilded and embossed, to Ms. Shanique Jones-Bey of Newark, NJ.