Swedish man survives two months in snow buried car.

Started by jimmy olsen, February 19, 2012, 07:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Dude is gonna be mental as fuck after that experience.

Also, he must have been pretty fat to have survived that long.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46441238/ns/world_news-europe/#.T0GXloGb4wA
QuoteSwedish man says he survived two months in snow-buried car
Driver stuck since December hibernated 'a bit like a bear', doctors say

STOCKHOLM — A Swedish man was being treated in hospital Sunday after being dug out alive from his snow-buried car in which he had survived for two months with no food, according to police and local media.

The 45-year-old from southern Sweden was found on Friday, emaciated and too weak to utter more than a few words.

The BBC reported the temperature in the area had recently dropped to -22F (-30C).

He was found not far from the city of Umea in the north of Sweden by snowmobilers who thought they had come across a car wreck until they dug their way to a window and saw movement inside.

The man, who was laying in the back seat in a sleeping bag, said he had been in the car since December 19.

"Just incredible that he's alive considering that he had no food, but also since it's been really cold for some time after Christmas," a rescue team member told regional daily Vasterbottens-Kuriren, which broke the news.

The Daily Telegraph reported that the man appeared to have survived on melted snow.
Advertise | AdChoices

Ebbe Nyberg, duty officer at the Umea police, said police saw no reason to doubt that the man had been stuck in the car for a very long time.

"We would not make something like this up. The rescue services were on site too and saw the same as us," he told Vasterbottens-Kuriren.

Umea University Hospital, where the man is recovering after being rescued by police and a rescue team, said in a statement he was doing well considering the circumstances.

Doctors at the hospital said humans would normally be able to survive for about four weeks without food. Besides eating snow, the man probably survived by going into a dormant-like state, physician Stefan Branth told Vasterbottens-Kuriren.

"A bit like a bear that hibernates. Humans can do that," he said. "He probably had a body temperature of around 31 degrees (Celsius) which the body adjusted to. Due to the low temperature, not much energy was used up."

Why the man ended up under the snow in the forest remains unknown, police said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

QuoteEbbe Nyberg, duty officer at the Umea police, said police saw no reason to doubt that the man had been stuck in the car for a very long time.

You don't?  Try and think a little harder.  I call BS.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

I have heard that semi-hibernation used to be pretty common amongst the peasantry.

This sucks though. But... he couldn't dig his way out? Was there an avalanche on top of him? I don't get how mere snowfall, could totally bury a car like that.
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

I've been in places in the United States it can definitely happen. Throughout the Rocky Mountain states and even the wilderness regions of the Pacific Northwest there are literally huge areas where you can end up in a situation like this. What typically happens out west is someone unfamiliar with the area and the dangers of serious snow storms gets caught out in an extremely bad snow storm. In heavy snowfall it's almost zero visibility while driving.

What will then usually happen is the car gets stuck because the heavy snow eventually leads to the driver sliding into a ditch or just gets stuck at the bottom of a hill that is so covered in ice and snow nothing short of a tracked vehicle is going to get up it. Once you're immobile snow builds up very, very fast. You can basically end up with a snow drift forming around you. However, the bright side is this will typically happen on relatively well traveled through roads. During the storm itself not many/any locals will be out, but once things die down various local authorities start working on the roads pretty quickly, and usually find any random travelers pretty quickly. It's not uncommon to hear of this taking 2-3 days. This is a bad experience but not exactly the end of the world.

Where it gets much worse is when the person in this situation, either due to just being bad with directions or not being able to follow road signs due to a whiteout ends up accidentally making a turn onto a very sparsely traveled forest road, or even worse a logging road. Some of these roads are seasonal and may got months or sometimes even years without being used. Some of them are under the Bureau of Land Management and are supposed to be gated closed when not being used to avoid this sort of thing, but more often than not people cut those locks to use them as ATV trails during hunting season and such. If you're unfamiliar with the area and accidentally go down one of those roads thinking it'll get you to your destination and then you get stuck like in the above scenario, now you're stuck somewhere you may not be found for months, by which time you'll have starved to death. In that situation you're in real bad shape because in bad enough weather it's very easy to get lost and freeze to death if you try and get out on foot.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Dude's lucky there wasn't a crazed fan around to dig him out.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2012, 07:46:36 PM
Dude is gonna be mental as fuck after that experience.

You don't know shit about the darkness in the far north and the scandinavian culture's ability to resist depressed solitude.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Somebody should ask him about this when he comes back.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

barkdreg already posted the other day.  So this wasn't Slargos.
PDH!

barkdreg

I wonder why you ever claimed Slargos and me are the same. Except for being overweight we have few things in common.

Darth Wagtaros

I don't remember how you gave yourself away, it was like seven or eight years ago.
PDH!