Iranian navy in the Med; only 2nd time since '79

Started by jimmy olsen, February 19, 2012, 06:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I become more and more convinced that this is the year that open conflict will break out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17083791

Quote18 February 2012 Last updated at 10:35 GMT
Share this page

Iran warships enter Mediterranean via Suez Canal

Iranian warships have entered the Mediterranean Sea for only the second time since the 1979 revolution.

The destroyer Shahid Qandi and its supply vessel Kharg have passed through the Suez Canal but their destination remains unclear.

Navy chief Admiral Habibollah Sayari told the Irna agency the mission was a show of might and a "message of peace".

Two Iranian navy vessels entered the Mediterranean in February last year. Israel called it a "provocation".

Admiral Sayari was quoted by Irna as saying: "The strategic navy of the Islamic Republic of Iran has passed through the Suez Canal for the second time since the Islamic Revolution."

The mission conveyed "the might" of Iran to regional countries and Tehran's "message of peace and friendship".

The ships were reported to have docked earlier at Jeddah in Saudi Arabia.

Reuters quoted a source at the Suez Canal authority as saying the vessels might be en route to Syria.

The mission comes amid heightened tension between Iran and Israel.

Iran has recently announced developments in its nuclear programme, prompting some speculation Israel may launch an attack on Iranian nuclear facilities.

Israel has also blamed Iran for recent attacks on Israeli targets in Georgia and India, an accusation Tehran denies.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

How hard would it be for the Israelis to send the ship to the bottom?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

MadBurgerMaker

Oh is this their little tiny 3-4000 ton "destroyer" they've built themselves? 

Neil

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 19, 2012, 07:45:13 AM
Oh is this their little tiny 3-4000 ton "destroyer" they've built themselves?
It's not like that's laughably small for a destroyer.  Other countries have older destroyers in that range, and the difference between frigates, destroyers and cruisers varies from country to country.  It's no longer a simple matter of size.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

What does grumbler think of this? He's been involved with navies since the divine wind wrecked the Mongols' invasion plans.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 19, 2012, 12:13:21 PM
What does grumbler think of this? He's been involved with navies since the divine wind wrecked the Mongols' invasion plans.

Eh, I'm pretty sure it was grumbler that told Themistocles they ought to build some more ships.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

citizen k

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Neil on February 19, 2012, 09:45:52 AM
It's not like that's laughably small for a destroyer.  Other countries have older destroyers in that range, and the difference between frigates, destroyers and cruisers varies from country to country.  It's no longer a simple matter of size.

This is not it, and I was wrong about the size (I was thinking about a joke made about it/an aircraft carrier of theirs they want to build).  Their little tiny destroyer is 1,400 tons, not 3-4k.

Neil

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 19, 2012, 03:31:37 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 19, 2012, 09:45:52 AM

This is not it, and I was wrong about the size (I was thinking about a joke made about it/an aircraft carrier of theirs they want to build).  Their little tiny destroyer is 1,400 tons, not 3-4k.

That's huge for a WWI destroyer.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadBurgerMaker

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadBurgerMaker

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2012, 06:09:31 AM

The destroyer Shahid Qandi and its supply vessel Kharg have passed through the Suez Canal but their destination remains unclear.

Their Klingon allies only sent a supply vessel?  :(