News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Emissions trading broken?

Started by Sheilbh, February 17, 2012, 08:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

If you are going to troll, you should do better then simply adopting Berkut's thing.  I mean, you have enough unpleasant qualities that you don't needed to borrow those of other people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: grumbler on February 22, 2012, 07:25:22 AM
:lol:  Exactly.  Allende's fate is an example of what happens when one tries to press a small political edge into a revolutionary mandate.

Bingo.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2012, 12:15:49 PM
:lol:  Exactly.  Allende's fate is an example of what happens when one tries to press a small political edge into a revolutionary mandate.

Bingo.

I don't know if a military coup is the expected result of trying to, "press a small political edge into a revolutionary mandate.".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2012, 03:46:36 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2012, 12:15:49 PM

Bingo.

I don't know if a military coup is the expected result of trying to, "press a small political edge into a revolutionary mandate.".

In Latin America?  Are you serious??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Oh, I thought this was meant in general.

The Minsky Moment

The fact is that if GOP candidate came up today espousing core ideas of Milton Friedman in the 70s - negative income tax and rule-based central bank following counter-cyclical monetary policy - he would be pilloried by the entire field as an elitist closet liberal.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 22, 2012, 07:09:44 PM
The fact is that if GOP candidate came up today espousing core ideas of Milton Friedman in the 70s - negative income tax and rule-based central bank following counter-cyclical monetary policy - he would be pilloried by the entire field as an elitist closet liberal.

The Earned Income Tax Credit passed under a GOP House IIRC.  I've never heard anyone propose abolishing it.

Not sure why you think Freidman's money supply rule would be pilloried by the entire field as an elistist closet liberal plan.

Not really counter-cyclical either.  It's cycle-neutral.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2012, 08:38:42 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 22, 2012, 07:09:44 PM

The Earned Income Tax Credit passed under a GOP House IIRC.  I've never heard anyone propose abolishing it.

Not sure why you think Freidman's money supply rule would be pilloried by the entire field as an elistist closet liberal plan.

Not really counter-cyclical either.  It's cycle-neutral.

The earned income credit doesn't really function as a negative income tax, though.  It's effective function is to act as a government subsidy for low-income people to make babies.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2012, 08:38:42 PM

It didn't.  It passed under a Democratic controlled House and IIRC that was so every time is was expanded.  What is definitely true is that prior to the Obama presidency, EITC had considerable of bipartisan support.  But there have always been elements in the GOP that have opposed it (eg the infamous WSJ "lucky ducky" op-ed) and when Obama made EITC expansion part of the stimulus bill, opponents came out of the woodwork. 

QuoteNot sure why you think Freidman's money supply rule would be pilloried by the entire field as an elistist closet liberal plan.

Because two of the four GOP candidates left have proposed moving to some kind of gold standard, and a third (Santorum) has proposed abolishing the dual mandate and auditing the Fed, which is in tension with Friedman's view that the Fed should actively and aggressively expand money supply to support growth when depression looms.  The fourth- Romney - has advocating firing Bernanke based on Romney's opposition to QE, which is something that Friedman approved of doing in the proper circumstances.

QuoteNot really counter-cyclical either.  It's cycle-neutral.

It's counter-cyclical in impact, because the effect is that the central bank's issuance of high powered money must expand during a depression and contract during a boom, in order to keep the broader monetary aggregates stable.  (MF wanted to target M2). 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2012, 08:31:00 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2012, 05:06:11 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 21, 2012, 04:34:04 PM
Pinochet is not an example you want to use if you want to maintain moral idealism.  It is certain that he was a murderous thug.  He wasn't in Assad's or Hussein's league, but a thug he was nonetheless. 

At the same time, it is also nearly certain that Chile under him went in a much better direction that it would've gove with Allende at the helm.  The economy was already in the dumps when he died, and in any case we now know that Marxism is never good news for the economy.

Good luck trying to calculate how much extra GDP is enough to justify a murder of one opposition activist.

I have no desire to use Pinochet as any kind of moral compass. He was brought up as "omg he is proof that Friedman was an evil fraud"

I don't recall saying the words "Evil" or "Fraud".

Your words, for posterity:

Quote from: RazgovoryFriedman is a bit notorious because of his relationship with Chile.  I get the impression that he and other libertarians value economic freedom over political freedom, and really don't care that much about civil rights.

YOu did not say evil or fraud, but what you said was fairly ridiculous because Friedman had no meaningful relationship with Chile, and he cared very much about civil rights.  It's just that since he was, you know, an economist, he wrote a lot more about economics and how civil rights impacted his chosen field of study.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.