News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Emissions trading broken?

Started by Sheilbh, February 17, 2012, 08:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2012, 11:36:00 AM
The EU is a magnificent idea, the only road forward for the nations on the continent, but I can't help thinking that it has become something like medieval China, collapsing under the weight of it's own bureaucracy

The massed EU bureaucrats thing is a bit of a myth. The EU employs less people than can fill up a premiership football stadium. Only around 25,000 IIRC.
██████
██████
██████

Warspite

Quote from: Tyr on February 19, 2012, 08:49:33 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2012, 11:36:00 AM
The EU is a magnificent idea, the only road forward for the nations on the continent, but I can't help thinking that it has become something like medieval China, collapsing under the weight of it's own bureaucracy

The massed EU bureaucrats thing is a bit of a myth. The EU employs less people than can fill up a premiership football stadium. Only around 25,000 IIRC.
A large portion of the bEUreaucracy (see what I did there?) are translators, anyhow.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Admiral Yi

Collapse under the weight of bureacracy could refer to the volume and intrusiveness of rules and regulations as well as the number of staff.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2012, 11:41:19 AM
Collapse under the weight of bureacracy could refer to the volume and intrusiveness of rules and regulations as well as the number of staff.

Yeah I didn't mean the number of people, that's usually the lesser problem. Their influence on stuff they shouldn't have influence on is the problem.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2012, 02:33:46 PM
So the moral choice when facing irregularly high taxes on a sub-division of a sector, is to raise taxes on the rest of that sector, ha?  :hmm:
It's a clear policy choice to make CO2 emissions more expensive. And when you make such a policy choice, it's both rational and moral to make the taxes as general as possible and not to have exceptions for special interests.

Zanza

I am pretty sure the Chinese airlines did not refuse to pay this because of bureaucracy, so I don't see how that is relevant.

Neil

China is right to resist European attempts at extraterritoriality.  They had enough of that a hundred years ago, and Europe doesn't really have any leverage to apply to China anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on February 19, 2012, 12:31:29 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2012, 02:33:46 PM
So the moral choice when facing irregularly high taxes on a sub-division of a sector, is to raise taxes on the rest of that sector, ha?  :hmm:
It's a clear policy choice to make CO2 emissions more expensive. And when you make such a policy choice, it's both rational and moral to make the taxes as general as possible and not to have exceptions for special interests.

Yeah but how sensible a policy is that? I am happy to know that the central comittee knows whats best and manufactures a grand plan to get us there, history shows that central planning and governmental stearing of the economy has produced wonders, and free economies of history can not possibly stand up to the wonders of what happened when a few people set their mind to run the organic and complex subject of the economy.

That said, while I appreciate that alternate energy sources can compete better if CO2 is taxed to high heavens (in case of airplanes, I guess we are looking at solar sails, huge moving wings with feathers, and nuclear drives), I am not sure it is to Europe's competitive advantage, as a whole, to overtax the only economically viable source of transportation and industrial engergy.

Because, I would gess, all these efforts mean fuckall to Gaia if the US, China, and India, keep smoking CO2 like it's nobodies business.

Ideologue

Quoteand nuclear drives

Oh man.

Quote from: WikiBecause such an aircraft's range would not have been limited by liquid jet fuel, it was theorized that nuclear-powered strategic bombers would be able to stay airborne for weeks at a time.

:mmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on February 19, 2012, 12:57:28 PMYeah but how sensible a policy is that? I am happy to know that the central comittee knows whats best and manufactures a grand plan to get us there, history shows that central planning and governmental stearing of the economy has produced wonders, and free economies of history can not possibly stand up to the wonders of what happened when a few people set their mind to run the organic and complex subject of the economy.

That said, while I appreciate that alternate energy sources can compete better if CO2 is taxed to high heavens (in case of airplanes, I guess we are looking at solar sails, huge moving wings with feathers, and nuclear drives), I am not sure it is to Europe's competitive advantage, as a whole, to overtax the only economically viable source of transportation and industrial engergy.

Because, I would gess, all these efforts mean fuckall to Gaia if the US, China, and India, keep smoking CO2 like it's nobodies business.
That tired argument again? Not everybody is participating so we should not do anything either?  :zzz

Tamas

It is the argument of potentially sacrificing strategical advantages for zero effect. Except for the dubious moral one. Where we limit our industry and economic growth, then, since limiting our consumption is just out of the question, buy consumer goods made in Asia using Gaia-killing procedures and technologies.

Zanza

What strategical advantage do we give up if we make Chinese aircraft pay a carbon tax?  :hmm:

Tamas

I, as you well know, am talking in general.

But, according to the International Herald Tribune article I read, European airlines and trade treaties may very well suffer because of this one particular step.

Neil

Quote from: Zanza on February 19, 2012, 03:13:16 PM
What strategical advantage do we give up if we make Chinese aircraft pay a carbon tax?  :hmm:
Well, if they don't pay it, then Europe is left looking feeble and helpless.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on February 19, 2012, 02:06:56 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 19, 2012, 12:57:28 PMYeah but how sensible a policy is that? I am happy to know that the central comittee knows whats best and manufactures a grand plan to get us there, history shows that central planning and governmental stearing of the economy has produced wonders, and free economies of history can not possibly stand up to the wonders of what happened when a few people set their mind to run the organic and complex subject of the economy.

That tired argument again? Not everybody is participating so we should not do anything either?  :zzz
That's actually a pretty good argument, tired or not.  Carbon dioxide pollution is a pollution that affect the whole world, not just surrounding areas of the polluter.  Tackling that pollution alone is like unilateral disarmament:  the less enlightened side gets an advantage, and uses that advantage to expand and cancel out the gains.