News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Emissions trading broken?

Started by Sheilbh, February 17, 2012, 08:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

It encourages companies to pollute in the same way a car registration fee encourages people to buy cars. :mellow:

Viking

Quote from: Brazen on February 17, 2012, 10:11:06 AM
As far as I'm aware, emissions trading was invented by Enron. I remember reading about it when I worked there and thought at the time it was pretty evil and would ultimately fail to reduce global emissions, if not actually encourage the richest, worst polluters to do it without financial or legal repercussions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_Rain_Program

Not to my knowledge. The SO2 program in the USA was the basis for the european and all other trading schemes for the simple reason that it worked.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

I agree with the Guller-Yi positions.

The market is working exactly as designed.  The permit supply is set exogenously by government fiat.  If the supply was set too high, that is a problem with the governmental decision making process, not the trading market.  This is a classic case of shooting the messenger.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on February 17, 2012, 11:07:33 AM
Quote from: Brazen on February 17, 2012, 10:11:06 AM
As far as I'm aware, emissions trading was invented by Enron. I remember reading about it when I worked there and thought at the time it was pretty evil and would ultimately fail to reduce global emissions, if not actually encourage the richest, worst polluters to do it without financial or legal repercussions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_Rain_Program

Not to my knowledge. The SO2 program in the USA was the basis for the european and all other trading schemes for the simple reason that it worked.

Right.  Enron came up with the idea for the electricity wholesale market.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 17, 2012, 11:11:46 AM
I agree with the Guller-Yi positions.

The market is working exactly as designed.  The permit supply is set exogenously by government fiat.  If the supply was set too high, that is a problem with the governmental decision making process, not the trading market.  This is a classic case of shooting the messenger.

Yeah, i am surprised that so many on this board are so totally ignorant of economic principals.  Market pricing is a mechanism, not an objective.  If a slow economy allows companies to meet emission targets without high costs, they can invest capital that would have been spent reducing emissions on improving other efficiencies.  That's not failure.   That's success.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

In related news, I read that the EU and it's airline companies face various punitive measures from what is by all intent and purposes the rest of the world, after the EU insists on taxing airplanes via indulg... carbon emission permits after their entire flight path, upon take-off or landing on European soil. Needless to say this does not bode well with stuff like a New York - Paris flight.

China flat-out refused it's airlines to pay the sin-repention tax without getting permission from their own government first, and the big gathering of nations (including the USA) which will happen in Moscow on this topic will look into their trade treaties with the EU in general.

The EU is a magnificent idea, the only road forward for the nations on the continent, but I can't help thinking that it has become something like medieval China, collapsing under the weight of it's own bureaucracy

Admiral Yi

I'm on the EU's side on this one.  It's not that much different from an airport tax, and it would only add around 2-3 euros per ticket.

OttoVonBismarck

I don't know much about emission certificates markets but I thought the whole idea was the government created a pool of them that had a fixed size, this total fixed size represents how much "total emissions for all the covered industries/emission types" is desired. My understanding is companies that go over their emissions allowance and exhaust their supply of credits have to pay some sort of penalty.

As long as the total supply of the certificates is such that it represents some decrease in total country-wide emissions prior to the issuing of the certificates, I fail to see how the price point of the certificates being low or high would necessarily impact total emissions country-wide. Yes, it may mean that some buyers will buy a bunch of them and pollute very heavily--but since the pool is fixed size that obviously means someone else isn't going to be able to do that.

Now, if the penalty for going over the emissions limits for your site (assuming you've done this and exhausted any credits you have) is extremely minor I can see how the credit system may not be substantially lowering emissions. However, as long as the penalty for going over is somewhat significant it will force those polluters to meaningfully increase the price of their product which will have its own limiting effect on emissions long term.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2012, 11:36:00 AM
In related news, I read that the EU and it's airline companies face various punitive measures from what is by all intent and purposes the rest of the world, after the EU insists on taxing airplanes via indulg... carbon emission permits after their entire flight path, upon take-off or landing on European soil. Needless to say this does not bode well with stuff like a New York - Paris flight.

China flat-out refused it's airlines to pay the sin-repention tax without getting permission from their own government first, and the big gathering of nations (including the USA) which will happen in Moscow on this topic will look into their trade treaties with the EU in general.

The EU is a magnificent idea, the only road forward for the nations on the continent, but I can't help thinking that it has become something like medieval China, collapsing under the weight of it's own bureaucracy
Jet fuel is tax free and that's a massive distortion of the transport market in favor of airlines as every other transportation mode is taxed heavily. Introducing some kind of price for carbon emissions of aircraft makes sense to level the playing field. We should ban Chinese airlines from the EU if they are not willing to play by our rules. It's not like Beijing gives a fuck for what we think is proper either when setting policy (e.g. intellectual property protection, ownership rights etc.).

Your kneejerk anti-EU reflexes are probably what's to be expected of one of Orban's subjects though. 

Tamas

So the moral choice when facing irregularly high taxes on a sub-division of a sector, is to raise taxes on the rest of that sector, ha?  :hmm:

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on February 18, 2012, 01:47:14 PM
Your kneejerk anti-EU reflexes are probably what's to be expected of one of Orban's subjects though.

The Brain

Cheap stuff is bad. I see that clearly now.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

You crazy bastard nations were better off, stronger, more robust, wealthier, when you were all fighting over some damn fool crown, colony or at the whim of a bored emperor.   ;)

Ideologue

The problem was allowing any member state to remain independent.  We realized that shit doesn't work in like a decade, and we fixed it.  You guys are still chugging along with your confederation of crap, a "superstate" that can't even protect its constituents' rights in Hungary and appears more and more to be merely a vehicle for the advancement of German banking and manufacturing interests.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on February 18, 2012, 09:54:47 PM

The problem was allowing any member state to remain independent.  We realized that shit doesn't work in like a decade, and we fixed it.  You guys are still chugging along with your confederation of crap, a "superstate" that can't even protect its constituents' rights in Hungary and appears more and more to be merely a vehicle for the advancement of German banking and manufacturing interests.
It's not like our superstate could protect its constituents' rights either, or at least cared to.  Took us almost 200 years to succeed, more or less.