News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Astrology- could there be something to it?

Started by Josquius, February 16, 2012, 11:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2012, 05:45:28 PM
Something similar in Missouri.  Except they had a test.  I failed because I couldn't tie my shoe and lacked the dexterity to catch a bouncing ball and couldn't tell right from left.  Could read though.  Only learned to tie my shoe at about fifth grade and only figured out right and left around seventh.

I don't remember how old I was when I had the epiphany "hey, left is the side you start reading on!!!" Didn't learn to tie my shoes 'til second grade and still don't know how to tie a tie.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 17, 2012, 10:48:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2012, 05:45:28 PM
Something similar in Missouri.  Except they had a test.  I failed because I couldn't tie my shoe and lacked the dexterity to catch a bouncing ball and couldn't tell right from left.  Could read though.  Only learned to tie my shoe at about fifth grade and only figured out right and left around seventh.

I don't remember how old I was when I had the epiphany "hey, left is the side you start reading on!!!" Didn't learn to tie my shoes 'til second grade and still don't know how to tie a tie.  :lol:

And here I am, thinking special education has made so many strides the last 20 years.

Eddie Teach

We actually used the term "gifted" rather than "special".  :showoff:

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2012, 04:26:14 PM
It might also mean droping out early when, had you waited when you where more mature, you might have succeeded or at least been more successful.

I could have went to Harvard. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 17, 2012, 11:06:15 PM
We actually used the term "gifted" rather than "special".  :showoff:
"Gifted" with permanent innocence.  :)

Eddie Teach

Shoe-tying requires a modicum of physical dexterity, unlike, say, pumping gas.  <_<

The Brain

I was in the middle of my class agewise. Obviously I towered over my classmates when it came to academic performance.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

Quote from: Tyr on February 16, 2012, 11:46:34 PM
First things first, astrology is bollocks, we all know that so get down off your white horse before you get started. There is just no way the position of the stars impacts our lives down here.

However....I've been thinking lately....could there be something to it anyway?- not so much because of the stars or anything but merely the time of year in which we were born.
Think about it, if your birthday is in May then May will be a special month for you. You will be in a different mood at that time of year than you would be if your birthday was at another time.
Also....school year. The time of year you are born determines which year you are in of school. If you're born in June you're destined to be the youngest in your year; maybe this means you have a childhood of being smaller and weaker and struggling academically, maybe it means you're allowed to advance far faster than you would otherwise. Whatever.
Likewise if you're born in September you're then one of the oldest in your year. Different factors would be at work there.
And what about those poor people born in December with only one month of the year to look forward to? When I was a kid I often wished I'd been born more towards the middle of the year so as to space out my present getting rather than lumping it all towards the end.

What makes up our individual personalities develops during our childhood, the time when a year can seem like a decade..... Might there unintentionally actually be something to all this star sign bollocks?

Your post is very christian and western centric.
Most people around the wold don't give a fuck about December.
For many is not even the end of the year, let alone some especial holydays or something.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Santa left Siege 8 lumps of coal last year.

Siege

So, my kid is going to be born in June. What sport should he play, according to the cutoff dates and age?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Barrister

Quote from: Siege on February 19, 2012, 03:39:43 PM
So, my kid is going to be born in June. What sport should he play, according to the cutoff dates and age?

Curling. :scots:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on February 17, 2012, 04:19:34 PM
I think I'd have been better off starting a year later.  I wasn't ready.

Story of your life.

Razgovory

This thread reminded me of the time I went to a astrologer at the fair grounds.  She said I would make a good diplomat. :lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

I read that a majority of athletes were among the oldest in their cohort for their sport. So depending on what sport you play, you want your birthday to be in a specific season.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2012, 07:50:15 PM
I read that a majority of athletes were among the oldest in their cohort for their sport. So depending on what sport you play, you want your birthday to be in a specific season.

Or, they can do what my brother-in-law's goofy jock step-brother's doing, and hold his kid back a year on purpose, so he can be the biggest kid in his class come high school.