News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama considering steep nuclear arms cuts

Started by Kleves, February 15, 2012, 11:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: LaCroix on February 18, 2012, 02:51:10 PM
now, i could be wrong, but i believe grumbler is saying that although acts of genocide occur, only an exceptional few wish to commit them--with everyone else simply following the crowd that forms around the idea.

"wish to commit" and "capable of" are not equivalent.
and the horse you rode in on

The Brain

... in your example, rwanda, i highly doubt ...

Actually his name is LaShonda.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

now, i could be wrong, but i believe grumbler is saying that although acts of genocide occur, only an exceptional few wish to commit them--with everyone else simply following the crowd that forms around the idea. in your example, rwanda, i highly doubt every one of your family men who hacked apart their tutsi neighbors did so out of an innate desire for genocide. they hacked away because they were convinced by their friends and those they listened to that the tutsi were cockroaches, enemies of the state, vile people, etc. etc. who deserved death. the difference is subtle, but it is still there

Moreover, many Hutus who refused to attack their Tutsi neighbors when ordered to do so by the Interahamwe were then killed by the Interahame for "treason."  If one kills out of fear of being murdered, one isn't committing genocide.

Of course, this is moot, since the claim was that the capacity to commit genecide was part of the human condition; it is therefor general, and not limited to specific situations.  Mere examples cannot demonstrate that such a thing is true, though mere examples can, of course, disprove it.  I am unable to commit genocide, so the statement is disproven.  My characterization of Fahdiz's claim that the capacity for genocide is present in all human as extreme is, of course, a matter of opinion.   
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: fahdiz on February 18, 2012, 03:56:16 PM
now, i could be wrong, but i believe grumbler is saying that although acts of genocide occur, only an exceptional few wish to commit them--with everyone else simply following the crowd that forms around the idea.

"wish to commit" and "capable of" are not equivalent.

No, but they are not unrelated either, since genocide can only be committed by people who want to.  Your argument is that all humans are capable of wanting to murder innocent others solely for the purpose of wiping out their ethnic, national, or racial group.  I'd call that position not just wrong, but extreme.  I'd say that the percentage of humans able to act on that basis was small, myself.  In fact, I would argue that acting on that basis was even counter to the human condition, and that for every person who acted against genocide, thousands wished that they dared.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Wait, you are saying "want to" is the same as "capable of" commiting genocide?

I might have had a couple of beers, but that does not seem the same to this foggy brain...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

LaCroix

Quote from: fahdiz on February 18, 2012, 03:56:16 PM"wish to commit" and "capable of" are not equivalent.

correct, and that was my mistake in only briefly skimming the posts. consider my original post to now say wish to commit/are capable of. the difference doesn't really refute my point, i don't think. while some may be convinced to kill a man, or get worked up but what everyone around him is saying, fewer can, with a conscious decision, decide to actively participate in genocide

i remember that article posted on languish some months back about how some tribe tortured and killed a monkey that wandered into a village. the man who climbed up the tree to catch the monkey later regretted his actions, as he was under influence of mob mentality at the time and did not really think it through. that's just one example to explain a particular mentality involved

Darth Wagtaros

Kids, kids, as far as daddy's concerned your both potential murderers.
PDH!

PDH

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 18, 2012, 07:23:18 PM
Kids, kids, as far as daddy's concerned your both potential murderers.

:)

Thanks Wags.  I knew you could put it into perspective.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Siege

I want to eat oreos cookies in a bowl of cereal and milk topped with condensated milk.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ideologue

Quote from: Siege on February 18, 2012, 11:59:12 PM
I want to eat oreos cookies in a bowl of cereal and milk topped with condensated milk.

Be the change you wish to see in the world.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Siege

Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2012, 12:00:10 AM

Point is, life is not about what we want to do, but about what is right for us to do.
I don't want stupid sugary calories in my body.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Siege on February 19, 2012, 12:21:03 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2012, 12:00:10 AM

Point is, life is not about what we want to do, but about what is right for us to do.

I'm sure you'll be fine once a rabbi puts his bare feet in it for you.

fhdz

Quote from: grumbler on February 18, 2012, 06:07:27 PM
No, but they are not unrelated either, since genocide can only be committed by people who want to.

That is an interesting assumption.

fhdz

Quote from: LaCroix on February 18, 2012, 07:19:24 PM
correct, and that was my mistake in only briefly skimming the posts. consider my original post to now say wish to commit/are capable of. the difference doesn't really refute my point, i don't think.

I disagree, I think the difference is significant.

Caliga

Quote from: Siege on February 19, 2012, 12:21:03 AM
Hippies don't think that way, see.  "Do what feels right, maaaan!"
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points