Elie Wiesel calls out Mitt Romney on dead Jew baptisms.

Started by jimmy olsen, February 14, 2012, 07:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I have left instructions for my chronicler to mark mart as 'hetreosexual'.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on February 15, 2012, 11:42:34 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 15, 2012, 10:30:52 AM
And yeah, Marty:  they're doing it with fags--dead fags are baptized into the faith, too.  So you'll be remembered as a straight Mormon 300 years from now.  When we search "cock-nibbling antisemitic toe suckers" on Ancestry.com, we won't find you.
Why the fuck should I care about it?

Of course you wouldn't - gays are doing it all the time themselves. "Historical figure X? Yup, totally gay." ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 15, 2012, 11:46:18 AM
'hetreosexual'.

Is that someone who is homo on the inside, straight on the outside, or vice versa?

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on February 15, 2012, 11:47:10 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 15, 2012, 10:30:52 AM
And yeah, Marty:  they're doing it with fags--dead fags are baptized into the faith, too.  So you'll be remembered as a straight Mormon 300 years from now.  When we search "cock-nibbling antisemitic toe suckers" on Ancestry.com, we won't find you.
Why the fuck should I care about it?

Of course you wouldn't - gays are doing it all the time themselves. "Historical figure X? Yup, totally gay." ;)

Actually it's the opposite. It's the heteros coopting dead gays by saying that everybody must have been straight unless there is an overwhelming evidence that he or she wasn't.  ;)

garbon

Quote from: Syt on February 15, 2012, 11:45:50 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 15, 2012, 10:30:52 AMOne is born into one's faith, one follows his faith if he wishes, one lives his life according to his faith if he chooses, he weds under the sanction and brings his children into the world under his faith.  That is the choice of faith.

For another faith to come around and say, "Meh, we're putting you on our books" and co-opting you into their faith postmortem is offensive, invasive and perverse. It's the delegitimization of an individual.  That's not a choice of faith.

I am (according to AnchorClanker) agnostic, and I agree with this message. Everyone should be able to follow their religion in private or public as long as they don't violate other people's personal rights.

How are they violated? Aren't people allowed freedom of speech?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Anyway, this is entirely different, as someone said. The mormons are NOT "rewriting history" by claiming that so-and-so was Mormon in life, or believed in the Mormon doctrine and whatnot.

What they are doing is bizarre and kinda weird but I can't see any harm being done in it. It's like praying for someone who isn't part of your religion, or the Catholic Church considering you a Catholic if you were baptised even if you subsequently denounce the church (you are merely excommunicated if you do, but still a Catholic).

Incidentally, if you want to point fingers, the practice of baptising babies who are unable to consent is infinitely more offensive and violating an individual's religious freedom than what Mormons are doing.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2012, 11:47:56 AM
'hetreosexual'.

Is that someone who is homo on the inside, straight on the outside, or vice versa?

Wait, did my iPad autocorrect fuck up or somefink?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 15, 2012, 11:53:54 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2012, 11:47:56 AM
'hetreosexual'.

Wait, did my iPad autocorrect fuck up or somefink?

I hate writing on an iPad. I am getting a small laptop next, no more of this crap. :P

CountDeMoney

On the other hand, if by the time I die I become someone who is remembered for something special 300 years from now, then surely there will be enough records of me so Mormon "history rewriting" won't do much good.

That's only because vM's server is more powerful than the one in Provo.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 15, 2012, 11:52:19 AM
Incidentally, if you want to point fingers, the practice of baptising babies who are unable to consent is infinitely more offensive and violating an individual's religious freedom than what Mormons are doing.

I do not really see it.  The baby was born into that religion.  It is like how you are forced to be a Polish citizen just because you were born to Poles in Poland no matter how limiting on your freedom to choose your national identity.  I could see this point if it locked you in for life but you can always leave.

But on topic yes it would be worse if the Mormons were capturing Jewish babies and baptising them.  But they are not doing that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on February 15, 2012, 11:48:52 AM
saying that everybody must have been straight unless there is an overwhelming evidence that he or she wasn't.  ;)

Isn't that a pretty reasonable perspective to take?

Most people were in fact straight, right?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

What exactly is the violation of religious freedom involved in infant baptism?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on February 15, 2012, 12:01:57 PM
Isn't that a pretty reasonable perspective to take?

Most people were in fact straight, right?

Who the hell knows.  Sexual preference identity is a really new thing.  Most of the Greeks who were getting it on with men and boys would identify heterosexual today.  So likewise it is difficult to split up people into modern sexual catagories unless it is so obvious it beats you over the head like Hadrian.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

On the other hand, if by the time I die I become someone who is remembered for something special 300 years from now, then surely there will be enough records of me so Mormon "history rewriting" won't do much good.

This is a huge issue with regard to archived material, as I and Money have pointed out, though he said it better than I did.
The Mormons have one of the most robust, well thought out data retention plans, whereas many government seem to have much worse, ad hoc, non-integrated systems throughout different government departments. 
What if in 300 years time the Mormon database is the only surviving, easily interrogatable database of any significance ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Oy Vey