News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Time Magazine: "Americans Are Stupid"

Started by jimmy olsen, February 13, 2012, 05:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2012, 09:59:08 AM
Yeah haven't we been hammering Time for being a terrible magazine since at least the 80s?

Yeah, I remember in high school when "Fatal Attraction" made the cover;  figured it had jumped the shark by then.

Back in the early '80s, it was still a good magazine.  I remember awesome coverage of the Falklands War from it at the time.

Razgovory

I used to like US News and World Report.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

At least we can all still enjoy the Economist.

Ideologue

Animal friendships are way more interesting than some dumbass European policymaker.  At least animal friendships are fun, and involve science, whereas European policy involves depression, and the opposite of science.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2012, 10:26:57 AM
Back in the early '80s, it was still a good magazine.  I remember awesome coverage of the Falklands War from it at the time.

Yes.  Of course, back then, a weekly newsmagazine still made sense to provide more in-depth coverage of major stories than the nightly TV news or a daily newspater would have--CNN was in its infancy, and almost no one had internet access.

KRonn

America's long, national nightmare continues...   ;) 

Eddie Teach

Josq defending America from claims put forth by Tim? Now I've seen everything.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on February 13, 2012, 01:14:42 PM
Animal friendships are way more interesting than some dumbass European policymaker.  At least animal friendships are fun, and involve science, whereas European policy involves depression, and the opposite of science.

If I had a dollar for every time I got the friends talk I'd be moderately wealthy. :glare:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on February 14, 2012, 01:43:23 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 13, 2012, 01:14:42 PM

If I had a dollar for every time I got the friends talk I'd be moderately wealthy. :glare:
:lol:

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2012, 10:26:57 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2012, 09:59:08 AM
Yeah haven't we been hammering Time for being a terrible magazine since at least the 80s?

Yeah, I remember in high school when "Fatal Attraction" made the cover;  figured it had jumped the shark by then.

I think it was Newsweek or US News & World Report that ran a TV commercial making fun of Time for having Superman's 50th birthday on the cover in the mid-80s.

Anyway, I still have my Time-Life set of books on the Grenada invasion.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2012, 02:59:23 PM
I think it was Newsweek or US News & World Report that ran a TV commercial making fun of Time for having Superman's 50th birthday on the cover in the mid-80s.

I remember that.  It was USN&WR.

"Superman? Really?"

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 14, 2012, 03:02:20 PM

"Superman? Really?"

:)  They ended the commercial with "We think fluff is fine.  It's what goes on the cake after your main course."

My brain is wired to remember meaningless crap like that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

"Superman? Really?"

US News and World Report is an abomination, but even so, Superman is important.  Why do you hate truth and justice?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2012, 03:24:58 PM

"Superman? Really?"

US News and World Report is an abomination, but even so, Superman is important.  Why do you hate truth and justice?

OK, Seinfeld.  Even Minsky's not that New Yawk Jewish.