News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Time Magazine: "Americans Are Stupid"

Started by jimmy olsen, February 13, 2012, 05:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Lol :XD:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/02/10/does_time_magazine_think_americans_are_stupid_.html
QuoteYou may notice something striking about this week's American edition of Time magazine.

While readers in Asia, Europe, and the South Pacific—really, the rest of the Time-reading world—confront a serious profile about Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti and his role in the euro crisis, Americans are in for a special treat: a cover story called "The Surprising Science of Animal Friendships*." (The asterisk leads to a footnote at the bottom of the cover that says, "BFFs are not just for humans anymore.") With not one but two adorable dogs against a hot-pink background, this week's Time really signifies the editors' staunch commitment to serious, hard-hitting journalism, even if it means risking unpopularity.

Sarcasm aside: This is not the first time this has happened. In fact, Time faced ridicule for giving the rest of the world a cover story on the Arab protests while feeding Americans a cartoon cover about "Why Anxiety Is Good For You" only two months ago.

Time's conviction that Americans only want to read feel-good puff pieces appears to be far stronger than any desire on the publisher's part to sell itself as an important U.S. news source.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Brazen

Doesn't it just imply that Americans are insular? It reflects the fact that even the US national broadsheets have a very local focus.

Josquius

Or maybe even that American Time readers are more insular.
It is known to be an American magazine, I'd imagine foreigners who read it will be more worldly.
Americans reading an American magazine though....well, no assumptions of any worldlyness there.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

QuoteTime's conviction that Americans only want to read feel-good puff pieces appears to be far stronger than any desire on the publisher's part to sell itself as an important U.S. news source.

They also saw what the fuck happened to Newsweek, and they adjusted accordingly.

Josephus

This happened a few weeks ago as well. ROTW Time had Messi on the cover. American Time had some feature on something lame.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

It's a magazine and it's the 21st century.  Of course it's not an important news source.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

I've seen this before, though maybe not that exact two issues.  Someone went through and cherry-picked two more issues were the American Time had news on the front cover and the ROTW one had something stupid.

Next stupid article please.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Hansmeister

Nobody reads Time anymore, unless they're stuck at a reception room at their doctor's office.  It takes about 5 minutes to read an entire issue of this worthless publication.

Ed Anger

Hans is being generous.

Which is why I read 'Highlights'.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 13, 2012, 09:48:59 AM
Nobody reads Time anymore, unless they're stuck at a reception room at their doctor's office.  It takes about 5 minutes to read an entire issue of this worthless publication.

In the Drs' office, I don't even bother then;  Vogue, Cosmo, Parenting, and Home & Garden usually have much better ass to look at.

Valmy

Yeah haven't we been hammering Time for being a terrible magazine since at least the 80s?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 13, 2012, 09:52:06 AM
Hans is being generous.

Which is why I read 'Highlights'.  :)

Sometimes the "Spot the Difference" section can take over ten minutes!
It's a much better use of time. :)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help