News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dickens: America sucks

Started by Josquius, February 13, 2012, 11:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

His mistake was not coming to the South. there would've been less crowds and more englishness. And he could write about the plight of a plucky negro boy.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

Yeah, no tobacco spitting yokels in Dixie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

Those were likely Southerners he saw at work on the streets of DC, after all. Well, if he can't stand that, maybe its for the best that he return to his dreary rain-soaked island and write about poor children.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 14, 2012, 06:09:14 AM
His mistake was not coming to the South. there would've been less crowds and more englishness. And he could write about the plight of a plucky negro boy.
He considered it.  There were plans to visit Charleston, for example.  But he did go to a few Southern towns for example Richmond, Baltimore, St Louis.  But he was strongly opposed to slavery - he devotes an entire chapter to it in American Notes.

But he also though of not going to the South at all.  He liked the idea of being able to say that he accepted no mark of public respect where slavery was.  He thought the land from Richmond to Fredericksburg was desolate and had the 'air of ruin and decay' that inevitably happens 'where slavery sits brooding'. 

He also couldn't stand the system of lazy 'genteel' owners who 'could not bear a superior or brook an equal' and that 'recoils from honest service to an honest man but does not shrink from every trick, artifice and knavery in business'.  So precisely the sort of bullshit you're peddling.

Having said that, he thought the Northerners were hypocrites too 'In truth, it must be acknowledged, that the free Americans, the very abolitionists themselves, are stout supporters of a slave system in act, whatever they may be in theory. In the free states of America the negro is no less forced down out of his just position as a man than when he works under the planter's whip. Even in an English drawing-room, the American who meets by chance a guest with negro blood marked in his forehead, feels like a cat upon whose domain some strange dog has intruded, and is not easily restrained by the rules of English courtesy from spitting.  He also didn't think they'd have the fortitude to win the Civil War and that it had nothing really to do with slavery.

Edit:  He did write about one black child too who was riding in the black carriage of a train in the South and cried all the way.  Him and his mother had been separated from father and brother by a slave purchase.  Dickens was very harsh on the owner '"the champion of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness' who got out at each stop to check on his 'human cattle'.

In fairness though Dickens was a dreadful racist too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 14, 2012, 06:09:14 AM

I thought you bought that league of the South stuff.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

What does the league of the South have to do with poor, plucky negro boys?

I knew about dickens in the South and what he had to say. What he mistakenly thought was "an air of ruin and decay" was just Yukkuri run rampant.

Faeelin

What a damn shame this moral chap never visited India.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Faeelin on February 14, 2012, 08:04:41 AM
What a damn shame this moral chap never visited India.
As I say he was very racist.  He more or less called for genocide in response to the Indian mutiny.  Though in fairness I think his son was in the colonial service at the time so there's a bit of the concerned father.

What's really interesting is the differences between Dickens and Wilkie Collins on India in their pieces after the mutiny. 

Dickens is simply strident and deeply racist.  Collins is more interested and subtle in an Orientalist way.  You can also argue, pretty coherently, that in some ways The Moonstone's an anti-colonial novel.

I've not read it but I've heard good things about Jack Maggs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Maggs
Which, from what I gather, basically reworks Great Expectations, makes the Pip character a thinly veiled Dickens and is set in a 'realer' less suppressed Victorian world.  So there's homosexuality, child prostitutes, illicit abortions and it upends Dickens's rather complacent colonial attitudes.

I'm on a binge at the minute (I've just ordered Claire Tomalin's new biography) and I think I'll get that later.  I find Victorian pastiches really, weirdly enjoyable.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 14, 2012, 07:13:58 AM
What does the league of the South have to do with poor, plucky negro boys?

I knew about dickens in the South and what he had to say. What he mistakenly thought was "an air of ruin and decay" was just Yukkuri run rampant.

As I understood their ideology, the South was primarily "Celtic" in nature as opposed to the "Germanic" Yankees.  The English are certainly a "Germanic" people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Lettow77

The South is both more english AND more celtic than the north.

But that "celtic vs germanic" stuff is quixotic racial nizzerdry and not to be taken seriously. the League of the South is too fragmented to actually have a coherent genesis of the conflict theory anyway- the best they can manage is all agreeing secession is delicious. The League of the South is a bunch of weird people, not an actual political party. It's a shame, as there are some intelligent professors and genuinely interesting types affiliated with it. (There are also pig disgusting amerifats who breathe through their mouths, but it can't be helped..)

quixotic racial nizzerdry  :wub:

Razgovory

How absurd.  And the funny thing is you go off idolizing the "Yankees of the East".  Find in them the qualities you refuse to see in your countrymen.  You are person who shall always be disappointed, Lettuce.

Lettow77

That's a grim and weighty sentence. I don't FEEL very disappointed, though. It's a beautiful and transient life, with fluffy things in it.

DGuller

So much attention for a writer?  Didn't they have sports back then?

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on February 14, 2012, 09:27:58 AM

No football, no basketball, no baseball...it just doesn't seem like America.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2012, 09:31:47 AM
Quote from: DGuller on February 14, 2012, 09:27:58 AM

No football, no basketball, no baseball...it just doesn't seem like America.
No wonder Dickens hated that America.