News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cuban Accounting

Started by Josephus, February 13, 2012, 03:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

http://granma.cu/ingles/cuba-i/14mar-Agreement.html

Here is a long-winded Cuban governemtn release from last March which re-pegs the Convertible Peso to the US Dollar at one-to-one. The Convertible Peso, in short, is the currency used in the tourism industry. When I go to Cuban hotels, I buy the Cuban Convertible Peso at 1-1 to the US dollar.
It is the last paragraph in that statment I find interesting:

This decision does not affect the current exchange rate of the Cuban peso in relation to the convertible peso in CADECA outlets, which remains set at 24 Cuban pesos for operations covering the sale by the population of convertible pesos, and 25 Cuban pesos for operations covering the purchase by the population of convertible pesos. Nor does it modify the official exchange rate of the Cuban peso against the convertible peso utilized in state sector accounting, which establishes that one Cuban peso is equal to one convertible peso.

In other words, officially one Cuban peso=one convertible peso. But, in practice...well, that's not quite what we're saying.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Bottom line is Cubans are paid the equivalent of $5 a month unless they want to buy something with it.

derspiess

Link is slower than dirt.  Must be at least 3 or 4 other Languishites bogging down the server in Havana :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

It's byproduct of a hybrid central planning economy with some market reforms.

The regular Peso is effectively government-issued scrip for the purchase and sale of goods produced within the traditional centrally-planned command economy.  For internal accounting puposes the Cuban government treats these as 1 Peso to $1.  It's basically arbitrary - they could just as well as treat as 2 Pesos to $1 or 10 Pesos to $1 or 1 Peso to $10.  the only impact relates to the degree of distortion created and incentive to try to arbitrage with the CUP where possible.

The CUP is government-issued scrip that reflects foreign currency reserves and is set at $1 - it is like a Cuban government version of an Amex traveller's check.  It exists to control foreign exchange within the country and keep it out of non-government hands.  It is also a tool to extract a massive tax from tourists and foreign investors.   

The 24/25-1 conversion ratio reflects the government's rough guess at what a market rate of exchange would be.   It alllows Cubans to access foreign goods that otherwise would not be supplied through the command economy, albeit at the cost of paying full market prices.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

Maybe we can invite some Cuban accountants to help us fix the Greece situation?  :P

Josephus

Thanks MM. Always wondered how that worked.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Siege

Good job Josephus.
Keep helping perpetuate a ditactorship and the suffering of a poor people.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

At least they're suffering less under Castro than they would under a free democracy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Siege on February 16, 2012, 10:16:31 PM
Good job Josephus.
Because embargo is working out so well.  Any year now.

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2012, 01:47:59 PM
Quote from: Siege on February 16, 2012, 10:16:31 PM
Good job Josephus.
Because embargo is working out so well.  Any year now.

Yeah, Castro is awful but our embargo has been more harmful to the Cuban people and has done more to keep them in poverty than Castro has. Hate to say it, but it's true.
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: fahdiz on February 17, 2012, 01:53:03 PM
Yeah, Castro is awful but our embargo has been more harmful to the Cuban people and has done more to keep them in poverty than Castro has. Hate to say it, but it's true.

I don't hate to say it.  The embargo is just hilariously counter-productive and idiotic policy, kept in place by intertia decades after its original purpose has past.  I would be really upset by it but there are so many similar things being done by the Feds.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: fahdiz on February 17, 2012, 01:53:03 PM

How would their lives be much different?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2012, 01:53:41 PM
Codswallop.

You are so right.  It was totally logical we took North Korea off the list and left Cuba on since North Korea is so freedom loving and so much less dangerous than Cuba.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 17, 2012, 01:57:29 PM
How would their lives be much different?

So the embargo makes no difference at all and has no effect?  Then not only is it idiotic it is impotent and pointless as well.