BYU Students Asked About Black History By Comedian In Blackface

Started by jimmy olsen, February 08, 2012, 10:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Morons :D

Video after the link
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/08/byu-students-asked-by-blackface_n_1263092.html?ref=college
QuoteBYU Students Asked About Black History By Comedian In Blackface

Brigham Young University isn't exactly known for its diverse student population. In fact, just 176 out of the Utah school's 30,000 students are African American, or 0.59%.

Comedian Dave Ackerman decided to quiz the unsuspecting BYU student populace about Black History Month in a video posted on YouTube. The students' answers are, predictably, disturbing.

Equally troubling, however, is the fact that Ackerman gets a make-up artist to paint his skin "black." Viewers are thus left with the doubly uncomfortable prospect of watching a comedian in black face interview white students about African-American culture.

The video begins with a series of students demonstrating that they don't know what month Black History Month is actually celebrated. It then features students claiming Malcolm X "was a part of the movement to get blacks into the schools" and citing "Will Smith" as a famous black historical figure. One white student tells Ackerman he celebrates Black History Month with "fried chicken and grape juice."

When he asks about dating, another white student tells Ackerman he knows people who have "jungle fever."

The video concludes with several white students -- encouraged by Ackerman -- doing stereotypical impressions of how they believe black people talk and gesticulate, which leads to a truly unfortunate sequence of white students essentially doing cliched impersonations of African Americans.

Ackerman preemptively defends his actions in the video itself, noting he is "fighting ignorance with ignorance."

But Matt Stopera over at Buzzfeed put it this way: "There is SO much wrong with this video. I can't even believe this exists."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Why should white people care about black culture?  They're not black.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Other than the guy who 'celebrated with fried chicken and grape juice' the students come across as sheltered, but not ignorant and racist.

And who the hell knows what month Black History Month is?  It's not exactly a major holiday.

That being said, I hope it was editing that led to most students not being able to name any black historical figures besides Martin Luther King.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2012, 10:38:12 PM
And who the hell knows what month Black History Month is?  It's not exactly a major holiday.

I've tried to post a thread most years when I care enough.  Hint though - it's on, bitch! :menace:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I liked the statement at the end: "Fight ignorance with ignorance."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2012, 10:45:19 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2012, 10:38:12 PM

I've tried to post a thread most years when I care enough.  Hint though - it's on, bitch! :menace:

Oh, I knew it was February.

:cool:

I just didn't assume most people would know that. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2012, 11:02:52 PM
I just didn't assume most people would know that. -_-

I'm not sure why but in California we celebrated it in elementary school.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 08, 2012, 11:05:37 PM
UK

Irrelevant. Much like LGBWTFBBQ month.

*error corrected -_-

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)