PETA Sues SeaWorld Over Killer Whale Enslavement

Started by jimmy olsen, February 08, 2012, 06:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

:lol: Nutcases

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/weird/peta-sues-seaworld-over-killer-whale-enslavement.html

PETA Sues SeaWorld Over Killer Whale Enslavement
Attorneys argue the mammals should be protected by the 13th Amendment
By Emily Feldman
|  Tuesday, Feb 7, 2012  |  Updated 5:16 PM EST

The five orca plaintiffs live at SeaWorld Orlando and SeaWorld San Diego.
advertisement

Five killer whales got their day in court Monday.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the vocal group behind those eye-popping anti-fur ads, filed a lawsuit against SeaWorld for capturing and "enslaving" orcas named as plaintiffs in the case.

At a Monday hearing in San Diego, PETA Attorney Jeffrey Kerr argued that the big mammals should be protected under the 13th Amendment.

"Tilikum, Katina, Kasatka, Ulises and Corky have been captive and subjected to treatment that we feel is slavery," Kerr told U.S. District Judge Jeffrey Miller, who is now weighing SeaWorld's request to toss the case, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Miller noted that there is no legal precedent for protecting animals under the 13th Amendment.

SeaWorld argued the consequences of setting such a precedent could be difficult to contain and may lead to cases brought against police departments and the military for their use of service dogs.

"We're talking about hell unleashed," The San Francisco Chronicle quoted SeaWorld attorney Theodore Shaw as saying. "Neither orcas nor any other animal were included in the 'We the people' ... when the Constitution was adopted."

Judge Miller said he would review all the information before deciding whether to dismiss or proceed with the case.

PETA officials heralded the hour-long hearing as a victory in and of itself.

"This is truly a historic day for the law and for the animals," spokesman David Perle said. Kerr added that "for the first time in our nation's history, a federal court heard arguments as to whether living, breathing, feeling beings have rights and can be enslaved simply because they happen to not have been born human."

SeaWorld called the lawsuit a "publicity stunt" without merit.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

It's funny but in 100 years this is going to be quoted as one of the first abolitionist cases. Mark my words.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Orcas are internecine cetacean-killers.  If you let them out, they'll immediately find a gray whale to murder.  Fuck orca rights.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on February 08, 2012, 06:13:43 PM
It's funny but in 100 years this is going to be quoted as one of the first abolitionist cases. Mark my words.

I tried to raid a SeaWorld once in order to foment an Orca rebellion, but the Orcas were scared shitless, the first casualty was ironically a gray whale, and after a standoff at the gift shop barricaded behind stuffed Orca dolls we were captured by seal trainers shipped in from Disney. 

Rescuing sea life is a dead end.

THE CRIMES OF THIS GUILTY LAND WILL NEVER BE PURGED AWAY BUT WITH A SQUEEZE OF LEMON

Ideologue

Our trainers are a civilizing influence upon the blackfish.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Dread Scott, among others, has it beat.
PDH!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

In 1000 years, man will be gone and it will be apes exploiting whales in sea parks. The whales still won't have opposable thumbs. :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

I have to say this is a very successful PR operation.  Even the HK newspapers are reporting it. 

Neil

Quote from: Monoriu on February 08, 2012, 08:59:35 PM
I have to say this is a very successful PR operation.  Even the HK newspapers are reporting it.
Nope.  You're confusing attention-whoring with PR.  A successful PR campaign doesn't make you look like a bunch of total retards.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Quote from: Neil on February 08, 2012, 09:35:25 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 08, 2012, 08:59:35 PM
Nope.  You're confusing attention-whoring with PR.  A successful PR campaign doesn't make you look like a bunch of total retards.

Some say there is no such thing as negative publicity  ;)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 08, 2012, 08:29:56 PM

In 1000 years, man will be gone and it will be apes exploiting whales in sea parks. The whales still won't have opposable thumbs. :(
In a thousand years dolphins and other cetaceans may have returned to the surface and walk on dry land.
PDH!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 08, 2012, 09:53:47 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 08, 2012, 08:29:56 PM

In a thousand years dolphins and other cetaceans may have returned to the surface and walk on dry land.

Isn't the octopus supposed to be the next world-dominating species?  I seem to remember some prediction about that...   :hmm:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)