News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bismarck speaks

Started by Ed Anger, February 04, 2012, 11:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I read about this some days ago. Pretty amazing stuff. I had read that Bismarck had a relatively high pitched voice that didn't fit his stature well, so I was pretty curious about that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on February 04, 2012, 12:04:05 PM
I read about this some days ago. Pretty amazing stuff. I had read that Bismarck had a relatively high pitched voice that didn't fit his stature well, so I was pretty curious about that.
Same with TR.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

I wish there wasn't a Puerto Rican in the room shaking some maracas while Bismarck was trying to speak. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Fireblade

Quote from: Caliga on February 04, 2012, 12:30:57 PM
I wish there wasn't a Puerto Rican in the room shaking some maracas while Bismarck was trying to speak. :(

tainted. :(

OttoVonBismarck

That was interesting, I'd never heard a recording of Bismarck before...never even knew one existed. T.R. there is a good amount of vocals out there for because his presidency itself and his later very major third party campaign in 1912 happened when sound and video recordings were the norm, but Bismarck's life just barely overlapped the development of those technologies.

I've (unsurprisingly) read a lot of biographies and such on Bismarck, but you don't often hear a lot about his speaking ability. Unlike Teddy, Otto only had to keep one person on his side, so he had no need of oratory ability.

Syt

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 04, 2012, 01:03:48 PM
That was interesting, I'd never heard a recording of Bismarck before...never even knew one existed.

This seems to be the only one so far.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on February 04, 2012, 12:30:57 PM

:P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I read something about Caesar raising the pitch of his voice so it would carry farther.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

I'm still shocked that I spelled 'Bismarck' correctly.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

:o

There's been a few of these which are just incredible (and difficult) to hear.  I think there's ones of Gladstone and Tennyson, for example.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2012, 02:09:28 PM
:o

There's been a few of these which are just incredible (and difficult) to hear.  I think there's ones of Gladstone and Tennyson, for example.

You'll like this site:

http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

These were made in October 1889, so theoretically we could have had a recording with Hitler's voice. That would have been awesome.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 04, 2012, 01:03:48 PM
I've (unsurprisingly) read a lot of biographies and such on Bismarck, but you don't often hear a lot about his speaking ability.

Yeah, I think the only historian that comes to mind that I've read regarding his voice was Massie, who wrote that Bismarck had a high-pitched voice that didn't fit his appearance.
From the recording, it didn't sound all that bad.  Wasn't a Prussian husky growl you'd expect from looking at his likeness, but it wasn't Mickey Mouse either.

mongers

Maybe we sort of get the politicians we deserve, hence all of the Teflon slick lookalikes, with bland accents, invariable mouthing the most bland of statements ?

I heard recently that HG Wells had a high-pitched Sowf London accent, so couldn't possibly be portrayed in that way, as he won't be taken seriously by a modern audience.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"