News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama to revive military tribunals

Started by Weatherman, May 02, 2009, 08:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weatherman

QuoteThe Obama administration is moving toward reviving the military commission system for prosecuting Guantánamo detainees, which was a target of critics during the Bush administration, including Mr. Obama himself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/02/us/politics/02gitmo.html?_r=3&hp

jimmy olsen

I laugh at the tears of the Kos kids :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Weatherman

QuoteBut in recent days a variety of officials involved in the deliberations say that after administration lawyers examined many of the cases, the mood shifted toward using military commissions to prosecute some detainees, perhaps including those charged with coordinating the Sept. 11 attacks. "The more they look at it," said one official, "the more commissions don't look as bad as they did on Jan. 20."

:lol:

Faeelin

Hrm.

I am trying to think of things that this man has done that I really like, and the only thing I can think of is cutting NASA's funding.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Weatherman

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2009, 09:01:39 AM
OBAMA = HITLER

Doesn't have quite the same ring that BU$H1Tl3R did.  :(

Faeelin

Ed Anger

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Faeelin on May 02, 2009, 08:51:47 AM
Hrm.

I am trying to think of things that this man has done that I really like, and the only thing I can think of is cutting NASA's funding.
The House and Senate just voted to add $2.5 billion.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Faeelin

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 02, 2009, 09:09:24 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 02, 2009, 08:51:47 AM
Hrm.

The House and Senate just voted to add $2.5 billion.

While NASA just scrapped plans for a moon base, and there's no replacement for the shuttle in the future. That pitiful bloated wreck of a program is going to wither away, replaced with a series of cost-effective probes.  :menace:

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Faeelin on May 02, 2009, 09:37:39 AM
While NASA just scrapped plans for a moon base, and there's no replacement for the shuttle in the future. That pitiful bloated wreck of a program is going to wither away, replaced with a series of cost-effective probes.  :menace:

Because putting humans into Earth orbit is useless and a waste of money.

KRonn

I guess this makes sense. Military Tribunals have been the standard process for cases like these, wartime type cases, cases involving enemy combatants, spies. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just seems the Bush admin found a way to really mess the process up.

Lucidor

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.