Obama to revive military tribunals

Started by Weatherman, May 02, 2009, 08:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Faeelin on May 02, 2009, 09:37:39 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 02, 2009, 09:09:24 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 02, 2009, 08:51:47 AM
Hrm.

I am trying to think of things that this man has done that I really like, and the only thing I can think of is cutting NASA's funding.
The House and Senate just voted to add $2.5 billion.

While NASA just scrapped plans for a moon base, and there's no replacement for the shuttle in the future. That pitiful bloated wreck of a program is going to wither away, replaced with a series of cost-effective probes.  :menace:
Bloated? :lmfao:
You mean criminally underfunded.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on May 02, 2009, 12:02:38 PM
I guess this makes sense. Military Tribunals have been the standard process for cases like these, wartime type cases, cases involving enemy combatants, spies. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just seems the Bush admin found a way to really mess the process up.
That could be the case, I've no idea.  My objection to Bush and detainees was always the use of torture.  I think on justice issues Joan and Grumbler both, to my mind, make a lot of sense.  I don't know enough to form my own view, but their arguments seem strongest so on this, again, I'll wait and see.

I'm confident that there's no torture happening under American sanction which makes me happy.  Though I'm disappointed and growing in disappointment that Obama hasn't ended extraordinary rendition.  It was set up by Clinton by, I believe, an executive order so he could, very easily, end it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 02, 2009, 12:35:12 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 02, 2009, 09:37:39 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 02, 2009, 09:09:24 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 02, 2009, 08:51:47 AM
Hrm.

I am trying to think of things that this man has done that I really like, and the only thing I can think of is cutting NASA's funding.
The House and Senate just voted to add $2.5 billion.

While NASA just scrapped plans for a moon base, and there's no replacement for the shuttle in the future. That pitiful bloated wreck of a program is going to wither away, replaced with a series of cost-effective probes.  :menace:
Bloated? :lmfao:
You mean criminally underfunded.

You know what is criminal? Kids starving while you masturbate to rocket launches.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

How the fuck are woing going to establish a permanent colony on Mars in my lifetime? :(

I can't decide though, if NASA isnt getting enough money, or they are just a bunch of morons who piss away money on their little nerdy pet projects like: checking out if a star 1500 light years away has or has not, green sparkles in its center. Cost: 12525 million dollars.

The fuckers should strive to find practical, and above all, business applications for space orbit and/or the moon, because thats how they get funding and achievable goals.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on May 02, 2009, 05:09:01 PM
How the fuck are woing going to establish a permanent colony on Mars in my lifetime? :(

The Hungarian colony will have its own little Gypsy dome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2009, 05:07:27 PM

You know what is criminal? Kids starving while you masturbate to rocket launches.

:lol: Might have more sting if it came from someone else.

Moreover, just because it doesn't get spent on Space, doesn't mean it will be spent on starving kids.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 02, 2009, 05:13:25 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2009, 05:07:27 PM

:lol: Might have more sting if it came from someone else.

Moreover, just because it doesn't get spent on Space, doesn't mean it will be spent on starving kids.

I got you to react. That is all that counts. Your NASA alarm went off, and you rushed to reply.

Me = WINNAR

Sheilbh

I'd go further than M. Butt.  The money spent on space would be better spent starving children :p
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 02, 2009, 05:02:35 PM
I'm confident that there's no torture happening under American sanction

You gotta be fucking kidding.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

I can't decide though, if NASA isnt getting enough money, or they are just a bunch of morons who piss away money on their little nerdy pet projects like: checking out if a star 1500 light years away has or has not, green sparkles in its center. Cost: 12525 million dollars.

The fuckers should strive to find practical, and above all, business applications for space orbit and/or the moon, because thats how they get funding and achievable goals.
There are no business applications for space or the moon.  There's nothing there that can justify space exploration from a financial perspective, at least not in our lifetimes.

At any rate, that sort of opposition to science and research is common amongst the inhabitants of the Second and Third Worlds.  Fortunately, the First World remembers the lessons it learned earlier.  Maxwell and Newton had no commercial applications for their research, but that turned out alright.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: Neil on May 03, 2009, 10:19:48 AM

There are no business applications for space or the moon.  There's nothing there that can justify space exploration from a financial perspective, at least not in our lifetimes.

At any rate, that sort of opposition to science and research is common amongst the inhabitants of the Second and Third Worlds.  Fortunately, the First World remembers the lessons it learned earlier.  Maxwell and Newton had no commercial applications for their research, but that turned out alright.

You are a Third World!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"