News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Merkel to Campaign For Sarkozy

Started by jimmy olsen, February 03, 2012, 01:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I don't see a problem with Merkel campaigning for Sarkozy.  In US, in contested states, it's expected that a president would campaign for the governor candidate of his party.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

We get lots of stories about the German public's reaction against bailouts but none that I'm aware of from France (or any other creditor country for that matter--except the Slovak no vote).  Is it not an issue in France or is the media being selective in its coverage?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2012, 10:37:31 AM
We get lots of stories about the German public's reaction against bailouts but none that I'm aware of from France (or any other creditor country for that matter--except the Slovak no vote).  Is it not an issue in France or is the media being selective in its coverage?
France is a bit of both.  It's a debtor and a creditor in some ways.  They're having to push through repeated bouts of austerity.  They've not managed to keep their AAA rating.  They've had to recapitalise banks and their banks are heavily exposed to sovereign debts.  France is the Eurozone nightmare in that respect.  But right now they're a creditor nation putting money into the EFSF and ESM.

I'm not sure on the popularity of the bailouts in France, I imagine they're not popular.  But my impression is there's a bit more sympathy with the South than in Germany and there's more support for unconventional monetary policy and far more support for Eurobonds - but that's part of the Franco-German difference over the Euro that goes back to its origin.

The bailouts are hugely unpopular in the Netherland and Finland too, that I know of.  I think they contributed to the True Finns electoral success. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I would be funny if Stephen Harper came to campaign for Romney.  Nobody would have any idea who the fuck he was.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2012, 01:34:29 PM
I would be funny if Stephen Harper came to campaign for Romney.  Nobody would have any idea who the fuck he was.

He could wear a Mountie suit... but then everybody would think the Mounties tag team would be back in the WWE.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

The guest foreign speaker was a real sign of the shift in the Labour Party's electoral chances.  They used to get Bill Clinton, Mandela, Bono and others who were, if nothing else, globally famous.  The last one under Gordon Brown was Jens Stoltenberg, Prime Minister of Norway (who ran on the slogan 'Jens we can' :lol:), I think Ed Miliband managed to get a Polish MEP or something  :Embarrass:
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 03, 2012, 10:07:11 AMMore importantly if Hollande wins then the Franco-German relationship will start slightly poisoned which isn't at all helpful.

Yes, this doesn't seem that wise for that very reason. If Merkel was a former Chancellor it'd be fine, but there's a lot on the line to gamble like this.

alfred russel

Which would probably be the same if Sarkozy, Merkel, or Cameron came over.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

I guess a lot of politically interested French know Merkel so that shouldn't be a problem.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 03, 2012, 06:05:20 PM
The guest foreign speaker was a real sign of the shift in the Labour Party's electoral chances.  They used to get Bill Clinton, Mandela, Bono and others who were, if nothing else, globally famous.  The last one under Gordon Brown was Jens Stoltenberg, Prime Minister of Norway (who ran on the slogan 'Jens we can' :lol:), I think Ed Miliband managed to get a Polish MEP or something  :Embarrass:
:D