Science speculation! Asteroid is going to hit Earth.

Started by Razgovory, January 31, 2012, 11:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Scenario:  Astronomers identify a small group of asteroid on a collision course with the Earth.  These are fairly large asteroids, likely to cause a KT level extinction event.  It's not clear
where they will land on the Earth, just that they will in about 10 years (ten years is a good round number and technology sin't likely to change significantly in this time frame).

Assuming that efforts to deflect the asteroids are unreliable (which is likely), what can governments around the world do to protect their citizens from this event and the aftermath?

I was thinking of enlarging existing caves and mines (ideally away from the ocean, and placing bunkers to protect the populace along with materials to build greenhouses and underground
nuclear power plants to power them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Wait, is each asteroid a Chicxulub-sized impactor, or do all of them together form one K-T-sized impact?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Launch a large artificial satellite into orbit of the impactor, which should alter its orbital characteristics over nine or ten years that it will miss.

It doesn't take much.  Angular momentum is conserved.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Or just set off a nuke on the side of the thing, that should throw it quite a way off course and shouldn't require much special engineering.
With 10 years it can be deflected easily.

In a silly theoretical though...Not telling everyone would be the smartest move.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on January 31, 2012, 11:57:44 PM
Launch a large artificial satellite into orbit of the impactor, which should alter its orbital characteristics over nine or ten years that it will miss.

Depends on if we launch it with imperial or metric calculations.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 01, 2012, 01:14:32 AM

Depends on if we launch it with imperial or metric calculations.

Or let the Russian's launch it, so it can hit the asteroid on its way into the Pacific Ocean.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2012, 11:36:56 PM
Scenario:  Astronomers identify a small group of asteroid on a collision course with the Earth.  These are fairly large asteroids, likely to cause a KT level extinction event.  It's not clear
where they will land on the Earth, just that they will in about 10 years (ten years is a good round number and technology sin't likely to change significantly in this time frame).

Eh, I'd be more concerned with Yellowstone blowing up.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

Tell the Americans and let them figure out the rest. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on February 01, 2012, 04:13:46 AM
Tell the Americans and let them figure out the rest.

You've been watching too many Hollywood movies.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on January 31, 2012, 11:52:42 PM
Wait, is each asteroid a Chicxulub-sized impactor, or do all of them together form one K-T-sized impact?

There is reason to believe that the Chicxulub impactor was not the only one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

It doesn't take much.  Angular momentum is conserved.

There is no capability to do that at this time.  At least one that is quick enough to reach asteroid in time.  The best you could do is 4-5 years (and that's really pushing it), and as I said, there is more then one.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on February 01, 2012, 01:06:03 AM
Or just set off a nuke on the side of the thing, that should throw it quite a way off course and shouldn't require much special engineering.

In a silly theoretical though...Not telling everyone would be the smartest move.

Funny thing about space, it takes a long time to get from one place to another.  If that small group of asteroids are going to take 10 years to get here, it'll take quite some time to send something to them.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2012, 07:10:38 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 01, 2012, 01:06:03 AM

Funny thing about space, it takes a long time to get from one place to another.  If that small group of asteroids are going to take 10 years to get here, it'll take quite some time to send something to them.
Not at all.  It's not like the asteroid is 'coming right for us'.  These sorts of issues are intersecting orbit problems.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

This one is.  There is nothing that says it can't be coming straight for us.