News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Not Connecting With Brands.

Started by mongers, January 31, 2012, 08:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

The 'best' or most 'effective' brands in some ways tap into peoples aspirations and insecurity about status, being in the in crowd or perhaps not wanting to seem different. 

I'm aware plenty of people react against leading brands and actively choose other brands or no-name products, but in financial terms, many brands must be working given the huge profits and the complex marketing and advertising campaigns that support the image.

My question isn't which brands you do and don't like and what you consequently buy, but what in which categories of products does the whole branding issue or battles, entirely pass you by ?

Maybe you don't even buy products in those categories at all ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Thinking about it, the many branding wars passes me by as I don't buy products in the follow categories:

Consoles.
Trainers.
Fast Food.
Sodas/carbonated drinks.
Aftershave.
Watches.
Cars.
Underwear.
Airline tickets.
Beer/Lager/spirits.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on January 31, 2012, 08:44:13 PM
Thinking about it, the many branding wars passes me by as I don't buy products in the follow categories:

In other words, products where branding matters.  Pedal on, you crazy diamond.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I barely aware of Brands.  Of course there lots of things I'm barely aware of.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

I care not for the brand of my diet soda, but the brand of my candy is important.  The brand of other foodstuffs is a gray area.  Sometimes store brands fuck it up, sometimes store brands do as well or better.  For many meat substitute products, the store only sells one kind, so I'm stuck with Morningstar.  They're pretty good, though, as long as they're aping beef; when they try their hand at chicken, it's pretty nasty.

In theory, I care about what kind of car I drive; in practice, I obviously can't.

My phone's five years old now.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

sbr

Didn't we do this thread somewhat recently?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

The only categories in which I'll buy specific brands rather than the cheapest or the best (for the price) as per friend/online reviews are:

Baked beans
Cola
Chocolate
Beer
Running shoes
Makeup

Everything else I'll shop around for, and I'm not adverse to getting my household basics in the 99p Store.

Iormlund

You'll buy a worse running shoe if it belongs to certain brand?

PDH

One of the Rules of Life:

Never skimp and buy cheap toilet paper.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grey Fox

Paint - Sherwin Williams motherfuckers.
Nvidia

Like a lot of things in my life. There are brands that avoid more then there are brands I want to buy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on February 01, 2012, 10:02:40 AM
One of the Rules of Life:

Never skimp and buy cheap toilet paper.

Dollar Store TP = :pinch:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney