News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on August 22, 2013, 11:56:49 AM
There are a lot of 30-something women (younger ones even to a lesser extent) who see hooking up with a foreigner and moving abroad as a way out from their sexist, conformist, once you're past 25 you're unmarrigable society.

Ironic since most of the guys who would do that are probably hoping for a girl who acts like a conforming Japanese girl.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 22, 2013, 12:23:59 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 22, 2013, 11:56:49 AM
There are a lot of 30-something women (younger ones even to a lesser extent) who see hooking up with a foreigner and moving abroad as a way out from their sexist, conformist, once you're past 25 you're unmarrigable society.

Ironic since most of the guys who would do that are probably hoping for a girl who acts like a conforming Japanese girl.  :P
:yes:
Its a pretty frequent problem with Japanese-Westerner relationships apparently. The Japanese girl wants to go off and seek adventure abroad whilst the foreign guy wants to stay in the country he loves and live a Japanese life.
It is said that the best relationships come to be had with girls who previously didn't really have much interest in learning English and foreign things. Sadly/obviously getting them requires a minimum Japanese level. :(

Though I guess it should be said that many westernised, modern Japanese girls are still very traditional by western standards.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

I need to find a way to meet some of these 30-something Japanese ladies who want to flee towards adventure in the West. :hmm:

lustindarkness

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 22, 2013, 04:08:04 PM
I need to find a way to meet some of these 30-something Japanese ladies who want to flee towards adventure in the West. :hmm:

You need to get sent to a base over there for a few years.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

Is it just me or do Koreans pronounce idea with an R on the end. It really sounds non-rhotic to me and is driving me crazy. Not because it bothers me, how can it when I come from Rhode Island. I can't figure out if it's just my mind playing tricks on me and adding what it expects to hear or if they are really pronouncing it that way. This isn't just an issue of my students copying my pronunciation, I hear this from almost all Koreans who speak English.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 27, 2013, 07:42:42 PM
Just you.
Why do I only hear it with Korean speakers then? I don't hear it when speaking to people from parts of America that don't speak like that.  :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Heard there's supposedly a North Korean saying that goes "If you don't die this year, you'll regret it next year."  :lol: :(

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

http://blog.asiantown.net/-/22313/korean-twin-sisters-turn-into-another-totally-different-twin-sister-after-plastic-surgery-pics

Korea really does deserve to be better known as the land of plastic surgery.
In this case: good job surgeons, good job.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on November 22, 2013, 07:14:03 AM
http://blog.asiantown.net/-/22313/korean-twin-sisters-turn-into-another-totally-different-twin-sister-after-plastic-surgery-pics

Korea really does deserve to be better known as the land of plastic surgery.
In this case: good job surgeons, good job.
An unusual case, since they actually needed the surgery.

Still, an amazing job.

1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

For the sake of their kids, I sure hope Lamarck was right.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

I'm told that in Canada marriages between Japanese women and Canadian men has the highest divorce rate of any match-up, and I understand the situation is pretty similar in the US.

If true I think it may be down to a mismatch in expectations.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on November 22, 2013, 12:15:37 PM

I'm told that in Canada marriages between Japanese women and Canadian men has the highest divorce rate of any match-up, and I understand the situation is pretty similar in the US.

I wouldnt mind living n Japan though.  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 22, 2013, 03:40:50 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 22, 2013, 12:15:37 PM

I wouldnt mind living n Japan though.  :P

I think the point is the Japanese woman who wants to live in the West would....